Lounger
    Thanks

Password Use for Update (WinXP Pro)

I am unable to access Windows Update because I am asked for a PW to get in, but never created one. I am the only user of my machine, and therefore am also the administrator. I have not registered a PW either as a user or as the administrator, but without one I am unable to run Windows Update because it refuses to accept a blank PW. Even if I create a PW for myself, I can't use it to get access to Windows Update. And, I am unable to discover a way to create an Administrator's PW.

How can I update my system without having to deal with the hassle of making PW access to a single-user machine necessary. I do not want to have to attend to every reboot, and it should not be necessary for me to do so if I choose not to. I would not mind if an Administrator PW is necessary for something like running Update, but how do I go about registering one?

Thanks

Re: Password Use for Update (WinXP Pro)

I have Windows XP Pro, so this might be a bit different for you. I can set the user name to be part of the Administrators group using:

Start button > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > highlight user name > Properties... > Group membership tab > Other > Administrators

It's possible that you have to log in as the administrator to have access to this feature...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When and where are you being asked for this password?
    Also, if you can, provide a screen shot of the pane asking for this password.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response, but I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. I have Win XP Pro, but there's no "Settings" option under the Start Button. Are you referring to Win98? if so, I don't think there's an analagous approach to my problem with XP.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Dave,

Thanks for your response. What happens is that I query Windows Update (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp) for its analysis of what I need to update, but get the screen I'm attaching (via Win Update Screens.zip) as "Administrator Query.JPG." Following its directions, I get the dialog box I've labeled "Run As.JPG." It is this dialog that asks for a password when I select "The following user" option. If I click on OK with "Current User" selected, the only thing that happens is Windows opens another IE window with the same Administrator Query page. However, if I select "The following user" option, I need to enter a PW for either the Administrator option, or for me as a User. Either way, I have no PW, so all I get is the error message attached as "Win Update Error Message.JPG.". At that point I'm stuck.

I tried giving myself a PW, but that makes no difference. And, I have no idea about how to install an Administrator PW post-installation, so I can't even test that, but I suspect that Win Update may work if I can.

This whole operation seems incredibly stupid to me, but I've been at this for 20 years and have learned that stupid seems to be the norm. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Even if it's wrong it will still be as good as Microsoft's.

Bob

Thanks

I changed my Start menu to use the "classic" display rather than whatever the new look is called. If you can find the Control Panels, then you will be on your way.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you have NOT added a password to the "Admin" account, it has the default one, the "Enter key". But do a Jefferson says and go to the control panel and then accounts and ADD a good password to the Admin account.

Are you sure you are NOT using a "limited" account and which is NOT authorized to make system changes?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Dave, for your advice, but I feel a bit stupid, since I can't find a way to the Administrator account. Under user accounts, however, I am listed as the "Computer Administrator" (see attachment), but whether or not I have a PW, I am unable to do anything as an administrator.

I just tried again, giving myself a PW, and following the instructions on the "Administrator's Only" page that Windows Update presents when I log on to it. There is some I/O that takes place, but I get kicked out again to a new window with the same old "Administrator's Only" page. Apparently, the only difference when I use a PW, is that something happens, but it still leads to nothing.

Hitting the Enter key with the Administrator option selected in the "Run As" dialog, as you suggested, doesn't do anything except produce the error message I sent you yesterday.

I'm open to any suggestions. Is there a registry hack that I could try?

Lounger
    Thanks

I switched to the Classic Start Button, but when I get into User Accounts, there's no way to get a Properties dialog that I can find. There is no response to a right click on my User Name (see my attachment to Dave A posted earlier today), nor is there a way to highlight it. In fact, there is no response to a right click anywhere in the User Accounts window.

Any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure that you are using the Pro version and NOT the Home version?

The Home version the admin account is ONLY available when in the Safe mode.

Also if you are using the Pro version what folders do you have listed under the Documents and Settings folder?

You may have changed the log in name of the Administrator account. If this was done and this account gets corrupted you will need to rebuild the machine. This is one major reason for NOT using the admin account as ones prime user account, you have no back door. If you have Tweakui from Microsoft, you can display the Admin account (if you still have one) in the "Login" area of TweakUI.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Well, I found my way in to set the Administrator's PW (Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Administrator - R Click on Set Password) and did so. This enabled me to run Windows Update, but I was only able to get it to run by going through the "Administrator's Only" page, and then Start/All Programs/R Click on Windows Update/Run As... and then entering my brand new Administrator's PW. This started Windows Update running for real, but I am still having trouble executing the download and installation of the two or three non-critical updates deemed appropriate for me.

What concerns me now, however, is that I have recently received several email notices from MS of critical WinXP updates, but Win Update now determines I didn't need any critical updates. What does that mean? SysInfo shows me to be running WinXP Pro (to answer one of your questions) v.5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600. Am I up to date?

If it still means anything to you, the folders in my Documents and Settings folder are Administrator; All Users; Default User; LocalService; NetworkService; Robert Grand.

Finally, I do have TweakUI, but could not get it to run because I can't figure out how to install it, or, if it was installed, I can't find it. I ran it when I had Win98 as my OS, but haven't yet installed it in XP. However, after downloading the latest TweakUI (v.1.33) and running it, all it seems to do is unzip into a temp folder. The TweakUI webpage says it resides in Control Panel, but I can't find it there, and so, I can't get it to run. (I do long for the Win98 Control Panel where everything was on one page. Navigating the XP Control Panel is like flying blind.)

While I don't consider myself an expert at all of this, after 20 years of reasonable success in understanding computers and the Windows OS, I think I can fairly say I know more about it than the average person, but experiences like this are beginning to make me feel like an astronaut on his way to the moon after having been trained for deep-sea diving.

In any case, thanks for your help, even though, as usually seems to be the case, solving one problem introduces you to a whole new set of them.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Tweakui should be in "Start, All Programs, Power Toys for Windows XP". It is completely different form other versions. I have Version 2.10.0.0

You can get the current version and other toys at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/dow...s/powertoys.asp

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Bob, Try going here: Windows XP From A to Z and looking in the 'W' section for Windows Update. There are a couple of possibilities. Kelly's site is one your want to bookmark. It is a terrific asset.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Great site, Joe. Thanks. I tried the easy fix it described, but got no result. I suspect my Zone Alarm Pro firewall may be part of the problem, but I'd rather not screw with the Registry as MS advises (linked from Kelly's site) for the time being as I can now get access to Windows Update via the "Run As..." option which is only a minor detour.

Bob