New Lounger
    Thanks

Evil style gremlins (2000 on Win XP)

I have made a template which uses modified versions of the standard Word Heading one and Heading two styles

Thanks

Re: Evil style gremlins (2000 on Win XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 04-Feb-04 17:40. Added thought...)</P>This doesn't sound like a built-in feature of Word. Typically Word only worries about copying default styles from template to document at the moment of creation.

Let's assume that some template other than your attached (document) template is attempting to "correct" your styles. Do you have an add-in or some other global code repository that cares about styles? Can it be fixed?

As a workaround, could you use "parallel" heading styles with names such as Head1, Head2, etc., rather than modifying the built-ins?

One other thing...

Do these styles include any list numbering? The management of list numbering is very tricky and a conflict there might have different results than with normal styles.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for quick response

The only styles in the style directory are Normal.dot and the two templates I have made. I do not know of any others that may be connected - nothing shows in the templates directory and no add-ins show although from what John McGhie and Clive Huggins write that may not mean much

By list numbering which numbering do you mean?

I do not use Words paragraph numbering - it is too broken to be of use.

I do however use auto numbering is in Headings one and two (which is what I presume you mean). That is working perfectly and I would not like to lose it as teh template must also be used in Papua New Guinea.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just tried the Head one style workaround but I then appear to lose the ability to number pages by section - will try more fiddling after finished "quick" urgent job if the electricity stays on.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There is only one attached template. However, once your document is created, it's styles are no longer dependant upon the template...they are contained in the document. Make sure that Tools/Templates & add-ins/Automatically update document styles is UNchecked. If your styles are somehow being corrupted, I would go through the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.

List templates refer to numbering schemes & the outline numbering schemes for headings are List Templates. You have to make sure that you've set those up correctly, although what you describe sounds like some corruption in the document. See if the steps in the above post help.