Thread: Downloaded crud

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloaded crud

(Windows 98) I've got a load of downloaded programs on my C:, presumably installed from the Internet. I don't believe there should be any .exe files in the root directory and am tempted to delete them. Is there a named program that I should NOT delete from this location? Is there a way of finding associated files so that I can delete them at the same time? (I'm an old DOS user so know that I shouldn't delete autoexec.bat or config.sys, etc.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downloaded crud

As far as I know there are no .exe files that should be in C:. You can see if you can uninstall any of them using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. If so, that should also remove associated files. Otherwise, there probably is no simple way to find out which, if any, other files belong with the .exe. You could move all the .exe files to an archive folder, or to a CD-ROM, and wait a couple of weeks. If nothing turns out to be broken, you probably don't need the files.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downloaded crud

Would Spybot, Hijack This, Pest Patrol, or Add Aware help identify the source of these .exe's? How about something like Executable Explorer? And would a viral scan help?

SMBP