2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating SnapShot Reports (2000)

I have some reports that I am exporting in SnapShot format to be used in a VB project. Is there a way for the snp file to be updated automatically as records changed in the Access tables? It currently seems that re-exporting the report is the only way to have an updated snp file for VB to pull in.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating SnapShot Reports (2000)

Snapshot files are not editable or updatable in any way. You will have to re-export the reports if the underlying data have changed. You can write code to automate this, but I don't think you would want to re-export each time a single record changes; this would be unworkable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So what you are saying is that SnapShot reports is not a very good way of displaying a report in a VB project if you need dynamic information?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on how dynamic you want it to be. You could run a scheduler to export the reports at night, or (say) two or three times a day. On the other hand, if the VB application is only run occasionally, it is probably OK to export the snapshots on the fly.

But if you need the reports frequently, and if they always need to display the current situation, snapshots are not the way to go. It might be better to design the report in VB6 then - you can create one in your VB6 application by selecting Project | Add Data Report. A data report can be tied to a data source; just like a report in Access, it will get the data when it is opened, so it will always be up-to-date.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, Since the user wants up-to-date reports whenever they look at them, I'll go back to VB and create them there.