Star Lounger
    Thanks

missing system tray icons (Win XP/SP 1)

Don't shut my computer down very often (usually use standby or hibernate). However, for some reason, when I do shut down and reboot I don't always get all the icons that should be in the system tray. I have unchecked the usual things such as "hide inactive icons" etc. Not the same icons disappear on each occasion. Favourites include the network icons, Pivot (for pivoting my Eizo flat screen), the voice recorder/volume icons etc.

Any ideas?

Richard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: missing system tray icons (Win XP/SP 1)

Click taskbar>Properties>Customize and Check there. The notification area has a mind of its own and sometimes you need just to reboot to restore items. For permanant missing tray icons:

1) See 321213.
    2) The Always Show Option essentially does "nothing," according to all the excellent O'Reilly XP Books, by Dave Karp and Tim O'Reilly and Dave Karp suggests: Customize the Tray as a remedy.
    3) Follow Kelly's A>Z>under N>"Items missing in the notification area and her excellent suggestions should help including Line 53 Show Items in Notificaiton area and Line 156 Disable SSDP and uPNP Services.

hth,

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: missing system tray icons (Win XP/SP 1)

Thanks for such a useful reply. I'll give them all a try, one by one.

I must say that Kelly's site is an absolute goldmine. Worth your post just for that.

Thanks again

Richard