Banned Member
    Thanks

Update on PerfectDisk problem (WinXp Pro)

Just in case this might help someone else let me share this with you. Remember I said I couldn't get PerfectDisk to do an Offline Defrag so I did a clean install,,and it still didn't work,,
    Well guess what? Go ahead guess,,,,,,,,I recieved this Event error in the Event Viewer>>
    Source: ACPI
    Catagory: None
    Event ID: 4
    Description: AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attemting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71) which lies in the 0x70-0x71 protected address range.

Everything I researched and read on this error,, said I needed to update my BIOS. And believe me a lot of people are getting this error,which is a shame because they are all Flashing Their Bios and may not even need to.
    Anyway I sent this error to PerfectDisk and they replyed and ask one questiono you have StyleXP installed on this machine?" MY reply was YES I DO. I was waiting for there reply and decided to uninstall StyleXP and give the Offline Defrag a shot,,and guess what? YEP,,, it worked like a charm. Can you believe this,,I reformated and did a clean install{Which is OK cause it was needed anyway" but I was about to start looking for a BIOS Flash Update. Now see how a little program can screw everything up. Man oh man.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Update on PerfectDisk problem (WinXp Pro)

FROM PERFECTDISK

You may notice this behavior if you have StyleXP from TGT Soft installed. StyleXP installs a driver/service that is set to start during the boot process, which prevents PerfectDisk from gaining the exclusive access to the drive that it needs to perform the boot time defrag.
    Workaround:

Run Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesS tyleXPHelperStart
    Change value from 1 to 3 (1 indicates that it starts at System. 3 indicates that it is started Manually)
    Perform a boot time defragmentation pass with PerfectDisk
    Change value from 3 to 1
    Changing the start value to 3 may result in StyleXPHelper no longer working correctly when the system is rebooted. Changing the start value back to 1 should restore the correct behavior.

Please note that this is not a bug with PerfectDisk. This issue is due to a 3rd party product preventing PerfectDisk from gaining exclusive access to the drive during the boot process.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update on PerfectDisk problem (WinXp Pro)

Somebody from the Atlanta PC Users Group (where I was presenting last week) asked me to come to Woody's Lounge and see if I could assist with this PerfectDisk issue. I'm glad to hear that it has been sucessfully resolved.

As the poster wrote, StyleXP has something that starts early enough in the boot process that it prevents PerfectDisk's boot time defrag from gaining exclusive access to the drive. You may also have this issue if you have PCAnywhere V10.x (Symantec) installed.

- Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.