Star Lounger
    Thanks

only get default profile

My Win98SE computer is setup with three profiles - yesterday the machine hung, gave me a blue screen of death so I had to reset. After a reboot I logged back in and only got the default desktop and start menu. The other two users can login OK and get their usual settings as expected. I can see my profile in c:windowsprofiles, but I'm getting the desktop from c:windowsdesktop and the start menu from c:windowsstart menu - however my profile is still there in c:windowsprofilesian.

The main problem is that I don't have any DUN connections and Office applications won't run for me. I've booted into DOS and ran scanreg /restore to go back a day when all was fine, but still no good? Also, when I look in HK_user I only see Default and not my name. If I do the same when logged in one of the other users I see their name in the registry as expected?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: only get default profile

Looking more closely at the profile that isn't working I realised that the user.dat file was missing! I've restored this from a backup and now I've got my profile back as it should! Don't know how this registry file got completely deleted, but maybe if it gets corrupted scandisk deletes it - scandisk did run after I had to reset the machine when I got a BSOD.