2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font attributes toggle automatically (Word 2000 9.0.6926 SP-3)

In the attached file I perform the following operations. I place my cursor at the end of line 5, after (ABC), and select the text until the end of line 6. If I now drag my selection to the end of line 3, then the following occurs. The text at the beginning of line 3 that was originally bold, now reverts to normal, and the rest of the line toggles to bold. The original text remains as it was. If I start again with my original document and do the same thing but move to end of line 2, I get exactly the same effect. What is happening here, and how do I prevent this from occurring?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font attributes toggle automatically (Word 2000 9.0.6926 SP-3)

The Bold attribute for lines 2 and 3 is stored in their paragraph marks. Your problem is caused by replacing the paragraph marks with the one from paragraph 5. If you turn on viewing of paragraph marks you will see see this more clearly.

If you select line 6, without the line 5 paragraph mark then the behaviour may be what you want.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (1.6 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried what you suggested, and then came up with the following problem. If I select line 6, without the paragraph mark at the end of line 5, and then move it to the end of line 4, then the bold attribute gets reversed in the text I just moved. Clearly, this is also related to something in the Paragraph marker. Is it possible to view the actual contents of the paragraph marker? I've turned on all of the available options, but unlike Word Perfect, I don't see any of the detailed markers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 05-Feb-04 16:19. to add last paragraph & graphic)</P>Hi Maury:
    Word is quite different than WordPerfect. WordPerfect is like a text stream, with codes that turn formatting properties on & off. Word is like a complex table of pointers, so even if you could see what a paragraph mark contained, it wouldn't help.

You have two choices. If you want to move text from one paragraph to another & have it retain bold, etc., you must either apply a character style of bold or direct formatting of bold (select the text & press Ctrl+[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]. Even then, if you have bold text moved into a paragraph whose style is bold, Word assumes that you want a contrast & will remove the bold.

In Word 2000, the character style that applies bold is called Strong. You can find it by holding the Shift key down & clicking the dropdown arrow on the style button on the Formatting toolbar (the one that says normal or whatever style is being used. i.e. move the text, then while it's still selected apply the Strong style or press Ctrl+B.

Added: I just downloaded & looked at your document. When you move the 6th paragraph to the end of para 4, don't include the last paragraph mark of line 6...that will solve your problem. You will see this more clearly if you click the show/hide button to show hidden text (including paragraph marks, tabs, etc.) or you can go to Tools/Options/View & check the items under hidden text that you want to see. Some people don't want to see spaces as small dots.
    Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images