New Lounger
    Thanks

Fill In in Mail Merge (XP)

Hi all - I thought I knew how to do this but have been struggling - Is there a way to set up a mail merge document (a form letter) so that it asks for the date once and then fills that date into all the following letters? I have tried the Fill In function and the switch for ask once but it only fills in the date on the first letter, the remaining letters either accept the default (I tried it without a default also) or remember the last date that was used. Thanks in advance - Gail

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fill In in Mail Merge (XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 05-Feb-04 14:47. )</P>Hi Gail:
    Use an ASK field in the beginning of the main document:
    {ASK bmk1 "Enter the Date" o}

Where you want the date to appear, place the field
    {REF bmk1}

The braces are NOT typed, they are entered by pressing Ctrl+F9. You can use any name for the bookmark bmk1 but you must use the same name in both the ASK & REF fields. Note the use of the o switch in the ASK field. This prevents you from being prompted for a different date with each merged letter.

P.S. You can also do this by using the button on the mail merge toolbar for Insert Word Fields.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil - I tried this again - I wasn't using the {REF blk} syntax, only {blk} to reference the ask field - however, it is still not working - Here is what I wrote:
    {ASK DT "Enter Mail Date" d "January 1, 2004" o}
    {DT}
    It asks me only once but returns the date I enter at the ask screen only on the first letter - All subsequent letters return the default date - I am running this through another program that allows me to combine multiple merge letters in the same export - I wonder if that other db program is influencing this in some way -or am I being dense?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gail:
    Whether you use {REF DT} or just {DT} doesn't make a difference in Word 2000 (I don't have 2002 to test). However, your syntax is correct & I don't see why it's not working, unless it is your other program. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're running it through another program. Could you attach your main document to a post so we can look at it? I realize that it won't have a data source attached, but I can add one to test it. If there is any sensitive information in it, please delete it first.