2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Empty Book opens no matter what. (OFFICE 2000 SR-1)

I have an EU who is asking why a Blank Book opens when he launches an Excel document form the Windows Explorer or from an email, etc.

When he launches Excel, ab blank Book is created. Thats OK.

But When he launches an Excel file or opens a link or an email attachment, it opens up the file PLUS and extra book.

How can this be stopped?

Thanks

Chris

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Empty Book opens no matter what. (OFFICE 2000 SR-1)

The easiest way to fix this problem would be to select Run from the Windows Start Menu and enter the command below in the box:

<pre>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /regserver
    </pre>

When you click OK to run the command, Excel will start and immediately shut down (you may not even see it). Then try open an Excel file from Explorer again.

If that does not fix the problem, then try the rest of the steps in Jan Karel's Star Post .
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Empty Book opens no matter what. (OFFICE 2000

Edited by <!profile=unkamunka>unkamunka<!/profile> to make the link "live" - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I went through the excercise of looking in the XLSTART folder. I found this macro called ZQIMENU.

Subsequently, I looked it up and found this link: http://www.qimacros.com/techsupport.html

Extra Blank Worksheet Appears

The QI Macros always open a blank worksheet (to mimic Excel at start up). If you double click on a file to start Excel, the information about your file isn't available until after the QI Macros have loaded. So the software cannot check for the existence of an open document to prevent opening a blank sheet. If this really bugs you:

1. Close Excel
    2. Find zqimenu.xlm, right click on the file, select properties, and uncheck the READONLY box.
    3. Open Excel and click on Window-Unhide and select zqimenu.xlm
    4. In Column A, about line 16 you will find an IF statement that checks for Book1 before it opens a NEW workbook.
    5. Clear this cell
    6. Select Window-Hide to hide the macro
    7. Exit Excel and save the zqimenu.xlm file over the existing one in the XLSTART folder.
    8. When you start Excel again, it will not open a blank workbook.