Thread: Bad advice...?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Bad advice...?

I teach a continuing education/non-credit/adult learning class, Intro to Computers for Beginners. My students and I were discussing problems with computers, and I told them how important it is to update Windows and Office and most especially one's antivirus software. One student said she'd had a lot of trouble with her almost-new Compaq computer, and she'd been on the phone with Compaq's customer support. She said the Compaq rep had advised her "not to download any updates from Microsoft" because those updates would "mess up her computer." Is this Compaq guy nuts, just poorly trained or...something else?

I did share Woody's advice to wait three days before downloading a new update--just to let the softies fix the bugs they seem to miss in the initial release.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bad advice...?

"Not to download any updates from Microsoft" as a flat statement is bad advice. After a problematic update in March or April of last year, most updates from Microsoft have been OK. (There was a problem with scrolling in Internet Explorer, but that has been remedied in the latest update.) It is a good idea to wait a few days before installing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blindly updating Windows without checking up on potential problems may be as bad as not updating at all. Probably the BEST advice you could give your class would be to Subsribe to Woody's Windows Watch!!!!!! and have them get the goods on updates (and lots of other stuff)</Unsolicited Endorsement Off>

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

If ya don't download Windows Updates,, it won't take you long to figure out that the guy was very wrong in saying not to Download those updates. I use to have the same attitude,,boy was I wrong..It's like saying to Ford I don't want to participate in your recalls.. Thats Bad thinking.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would strongly advise people not to install driver updates from Windows Update. I have seen these cause many problems. The critical updates are a different matter and these should generally be applied.

Do you know what sort of update your student loaded?

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>not to install driver updates from Windows Update
    This may depend on the make of your machine. Driver updates for IBM laptops appear to be satisfactorily delivered by Windows Update.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart, I have had the opposite problems, at least with Nvidia updates vs. MS Version (approved) updates, More than once after updating to the latest Nvidia drives I have (one several systems over the last 18 months of so) lost all display. A boot into "safe" mode and returning to the old driver, then updating to the one listed in the MS Driver updates section solved the issues.
    This has been on 98, 2000 and XP machines. I do not have the particular versions with me but they were something like 10.3.16 did not work and MS had 10.3.11 and it did. The original drivers were 2 or three versions back 8.xxx or 9.xxx.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No idea, Stuart. I'm going to give my student a print-out of this thread. One other thing I always recommend to my students is that they (a) subscribe to Woody's newsletters and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] become members of the Lounge! Near as I can tell, there's nothing else quite like Woody's Lounge!

Thanks, everybody!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Kent, I've had good luck with just updating the last few Nvidia drivers. Used to be though that the best approach was to uninstall the current, reboot, then install the new one. Have you tried that?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I will NOT use any driver from MS. I will go to the OEM and get the latest from them. You will find that a lot of the drivers from MS are the "Generic" ones provided by the OEM to be approved. It will take about 6 months for the approval. In the mean time the OEM has released another update. Some times you may already have a NEWER driver than the one at MS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Agreed Dave. I my expericence updating driver frim WU is a bad idea.

Joe
    Joe