5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird toolbar behavior (Excel 2000)

Something snapped in Excel the other night. Now, instead of my new customized toolbar, I get the old one. Yet, when I first start Excel, the new toolbar flashes in position on the left hand side, but then instantly disappears, being replaced by the old customized toolbar TQ#3. So it seems as if the newer one is being suppressed by the older one. I remove the older one from the toolbar and yet it reappears on restart. Any ideas? Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Weird toolbar behavior (Excel 2000)

I also had some fights with customized toolbars. But let me ask aone question first: Is this toolbar part of a workbook, or do you want to use it generally? My customized toolbar was part of a workbook. When I made changes to the toolbar, I had to save the workbook under a different name. Then it usually worked. Unfortunately I did not find a propoer solution for this, since sometimes even changing the workbooks name doesn' t work every time.
    I know it is not very much, and maybe you have already tried it out.

Greetings, Porley

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See if Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post> helps to pinpoint the cause.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Here is some general information regarding managing custom toolbars:

Excel keeps toolbar and menubar customizations in a file with the extension .xlb. The exact filename depends on Excel version and install, but usually is: Excel9.xlb or Excel.xlb or Username8.xlb.
    Often this file can be found in your WINDOWS directory.

You can attach a toolbar to a workbook. When this workbook is loaded, XL checks if the toolbar is on the system. If not, it copies the toolbar from the workbook to the system.

After creating *or changing* the toolbar, you should attach the toolbar to your workbook:

- activate the workbook to which you want to attach the toolbar
    - Rightclick the toolbar, select 'customize'
    - Click 'Attach' (Toolbars Tab)
    - If the workbook already contains a toolbar by that name, delete it first by clicking on it on the righthand side and choosing Delete.
    - Select your toolbar (on the left) and press 'copy'
    - Save the workbook (optionally: save_as an add-in).

Also, you should include code that deletes the toolbar when your workbook or add-in is closed, so that when you deliver a new version of your workbook the new toolbar will be used i.s.o the old one. You can do that in the Thisworkbook module, using the Workbook_BeforeClose event:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel as Boolean)
    On Error Resume Next 'In case Toolbar is absent
    Application.CommandBars("YourBarsName").Delete
    End Sub
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association