New Lounger
    Thanks

where is the normal.dot

I have been using Word for a long time and I'm stumped. My client bought a laptop with Windows 2000 professional for home use only. She is using the administrator logon rather than a user id. Word is installed. She wants me to freeze the zoom view to larger than 100% so I need to get to the normal.dot. I checked tools, options, file locations and the path is documents&settingadministrator,application datamicrosofttemplates. I looked for and it is not there. I have done searches from the start button for normal.dot and the wildcard *.dot and still cannot find it. I changed in Windows explorer to view all file types and still cannot find it. What am I missing? Maybe I'm just too tired that I can't think straight.

ruth

Thanks

Re: where is the normal.dot

Assuming you logged on with administrator permissions, what you say you have done should have found it for you.

Recommendation: Open My Computer in Explorer. Press F3 to search for Norma*.dot.

In some instances the base template is named Normala.dot. This usually indicates a virus, but may simply indicate a different language package.

It is also conceivable that the requisite folders have been marked as read-only and Word is unable to save Normal.dot. Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>Normala.dot. This usually indicates a virus, but may simply indicate a different language package.

Could you please elaborate on this?

As a virus that suggests that the virus is still in Normal but has renamed the old normal? Or the virus put some concrete code in a Normala that the virus can re-gain to thwart disinfection procedures? In a way that doesn't make sense at all, since the virus has to be lurking elsewhere and could just reinstall itself.

As a language that suggests that Word will look for Normal*.dot (or Normal?.dot) rather than just for Normal.dot. That'd be a nice feature to exploit^H^H^H^H^H^H^H use (grin!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still cannot be found. The reason I wanted to find it was I wanted to "fix" the view to 125% whenever a new or saved document is opened. My understanding I must open the normal.dot. to do it.

What I am finding interesting is the 125% is "sticking" if a previously saved document is opened, view changed, saved and reopened.

But it's mysterious to me why I can't locate this template. I keep wondering if it is related to Windows 2000 professional and signed in as an adminstrator. The computer is a stand alone IBM laptop. No network is involved.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's hiding! On the desktop, click on My Computer. Then click on Tools / Folder Options / View Tab. In the Advanced Settings under Hiddent files and folders, mark "Show hidden files and folders" If that is unmarked, normal.dot will not appear in searches or on screen. I've attached my settings for your reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karen

Thanks

normala.dot ...

I think it is one of the Arabic language packages that uses normala.dot rather than normal.dot. I also know of a virus that changes normal.dot to normala.dot. I believe that in both cases there is no normal.dot. I'm writing from dim memory of a discussion on one of the Microsoft newsgroups over a year ago.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen, Thanks alot. Yes it was a hidden file. In my years of using Word, I never saw this file hidden. Maybe because it was Windows Professional??
    Ruth

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I think it is one of the Arabic language packages that uses normala.dot rather than normal.dot. I also know of a virus that changes normal.dot to normala.dot. I

Charles, thanks for this. I'd never heard of a 'standard" normal template having a anme other than "Normal.dot".

BAM

I haven't either.

Now I have heard of a few virus scanners renaming Normal.dot to Normala.dot if a virus is suspected...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Funny you should mention the word "Standard" - I believe that in the German version of Word, the style called "Normal" is instead called "Standard" - not sure about "Standard.dot" though.

Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by KB MacKenzie to add URL tags

I was stumped by all templates in Office 2000. They don't work the same as in previous versions of Office. Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base article <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q210/8/84.ASP>Q210884</A> for a good overview of where and how templates (including normal) are in Office 2000. If you change it, it will be somewhere else!