2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Control: Which?

Ok, I have not kept track with Remote Control software in a while. Now I have several to choose from. I need some advice.

I have used DameWare, VNC, Windows NetMeeting and PCAnywhere in the past.

Here's my problem.

I have a Father-in-law that is always having problems and I get frustrated over the phone trying to help him.

What is the best solution for a Remote Control Software in your opinion?

ME:

DSL Router with a mix of Wired and Wireless and Windows XP/2000

HIM:
    DSL Router wired using Windows2000

I have access to PCAnywhere and Dameware. NetMeeting comes free.

I just need some clarification on how to connect and usability.

Thanks

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Remote Control: Which?

Chris, VNC is also free. The original VNC team now has the software at http://www.realvnc.com.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using VNC, mainly over a LAN, and have found it to be a) simple and easy to use [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] acceptably secure and c) dead easy to install and setup.

HTH.
    Granville

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works great on a LAN. But what about across the DSL/Cable connections. My problem is that I have to be able to connect to the other pc which is behind a built-in firewall of a DSL router. Where do you designate which ports to open etc. As I understand it, you have to open a port throught the DSL/Cable Routers so that it can accept a VNC or DameWare or PCAnywhere remote connection.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

From the FAQ at the link above:
    <hr>Opening Ports - The simplest way to allow VNC connections in through your firewall is to configure your firewalling software to allow connections to the VNC ports. If N is the display number of a particular VNC server then it will accept connections on port 5900+N. Configuring your firewall to allow connections to this port will allow VNC to work. If you wish to use the in-built web server and Java VNC Viewer then you will also need to allow connections to port 5800+N. Unfortunately, because VNC traffic is not encrypted, this approach weakens the security provided by your firewall, and so is not advisable. <hr>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info.

So if I open the ports for VNC, and the VNC client is running on the Remote end, it will know where it is even thought it is running a local IP?

Lets say: the Router IP is 206.124.88.67
    And the DHCP has given the Remote pc this IP: 192.168.1.5

the VNCVIEWER will be able to remote into the Router and then find the computer running the local IP and connect?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'll need to check up on the documentation for both the router and whichever software you use. Usually (and in my case) the router will have a "forwarding" section in its configuration screens. There is where you would put the local IP number to which you want incoming traffic on port xxxx forwarded.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just remember that there are hackers which regularly scan for active (listening) VNC servers / PC Anywhere / etc., and that your father-in-law would want to either (a) only turn on the service right before you connect, and turn it off immediately afterward, or ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] set up a VPN to enable secure connection over the internet.

Also, to add to your list, there's a program called Radmin which is pretty good, cheap ($35 or so), and it comes with a free trial. But it is still susceptible to hacker scanning as are the other programs.

Hope this helps,

Charlie T.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point about the hackers, I always assume everyone is paranoid about them, just like me!
    Granville