3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting by Number (A2K)

One of the fields in my database is "district number" and they range from 1-29. When I view the database in datasheet view and sort the records ascending by the aforementioned field, they order 1,10.....2, 20,...29, 3, 30 and so on. How can I get this to sort numerically??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting by Number (A2K)

If the field sorts that way, the "district number" must be a text field, despite its name. If it is acceptable to change it to a number field, that would solve your problem. If it isn't, you need to create a query based on your table, and add a calculated field

DN: CLng([District Number])

CLng converts the string value to a long integer. You can sort the query on the DN field.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I can change from text to number- I had a feeling it was that simple, but unfortunately the tables are on a SQL server that I don't have permissions for, and I can only change the front end goodies-so alas, I will have to wait for the administrator to do that for me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can't change the field to numeric, then another possibility is to append a leading zero so tha 1 becomes 01 and 2 becomes 02, etc.
    Legare Coleman