Lounger
    Thanks

No Access Help (Access97, Win98)

I am running Access 97 with Win98 SE and 512MB of memory. For no obvious reason, such as a computer crash, I am now unable to open Access Help. I get the following error message: "Help isn't available due to lack of memory or improper installation of Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Access". However, the Help files are still in my MS Office folder and I can open them in Windows Explorer.

Is it possible to fix this problem without re-installing Win98 or Access97. If I have to re-install do I have to reinstall both programs and is it possible to re-install just the Help files.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Access Help (Access97, Win98)

First try this:
    - In Windows, select Start | Run...
    - Type regedit, then press Enter
    - Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsHelp key in the left hand pane.
    - See if there is a value named Acmain80.hlp in the right hand pane.
    - If not, create it (Edit | New | String value)
    - Make sure that its data is the name where this help file is located; in a standard installation, this is C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice

If this doesn't help, have your Office 97 CD ready and open the Add/Remove programs control panel. Select Microsoft Office 97 Professional (or Access 97, if listed). When asked what you want to do, select (I think) Repair, or Modify. You should be able to reinstall the help without losing your settings.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Access Help (Access97, Win98)

Hans,
    Many thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to try your solutions tomorrow.
    Regards,
    John