New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP (SP1)

Recently my computer has stopped recognising USB devices. My printing, scanner and ADSL modem are OK but when I connect my Palm VX or 7 port powered hub, they show up as unrecognised devices. The Palm Vx used to work and after reinstalling the drivers no luck. I have tried the devices on other machines with no problems.

In scanning the web for help there seems to be an emerging issue with USB support under Windows XP. I have tried many fixes but no luck. Has anyone a fix for this?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP (SP1)

Peter--

I wonder if the November, 2003 USB update for XP may help?

822603: Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

No I hadn't tried that but I have installed the fix and to no avail. Thanks very much, I'll continue to rip my hair out and eventually I'll go bald and be able to justify kicking the cat!

Banned Member
    Thanks

I notice you said "RECENTLY",,,so ,,,Have you tried System Restore to a point before the recently part?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you show in Device Manager? Make sure that you enable the tick under the View menu to Show Hidden Devices.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, sometimes the enumeration of the USB device tree gets mangled, but there is usually a solution. Is this an Intel or AMD based system? There are several different chipsets, and VIA in particular has had, erm, issues in the past with USB support.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a vaguely similar problem. The ADSL modem connected to my Toshiba portable frequently switches itself off. I believe this has something to do with the portable's power supply not being able to meet the modem current drain (500mA?) at all times. Generally, all I have to do is disconnect the modem from the USB port then connect it again, the redial. Sometimes, however, the modem goes dead and cannot be woken up by disconnecting/reconnecting.
    My question: Is there any other way of forcing Windows to scan the modem port or send power to the modem via the USB port?

Thanks

Steve,
    Does the modem have it's own power supply ( those little separate power bricks ) or does it get it's power just from the USB port?
    USB ports only supply half an amp ( 500ma ) out from the port, so if your modem pulls about that much current, it might be marginally erratic and shut down at times. Cooling down may reduce the power a bit and it will work OK for a time.
    If it runs from a power brick, you might try to get one that has a little larger current capacity, say 600ma or so, with the same voltage and polarity output. You can always use a unit with a larger CAPACITY, but the unit will only draw what it needs from the device.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    My modem is powered by the USB port (it's the model supplied by the service provider and, I gather, the only one compatible with same).
    I've already identified a multi-port USB self-powered hub that should solve the problem, but, until I buy that piece of hardware, I was wondering if there is some other work-around (and something else to learn).
    Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

With USB you cannot work around the power limitations. It's part of the design of USB devices. If you have any other devices connected to the USB ports on the PC, you might try disconnecting those to see if it helps abate the problem somewhat. I think Bob may have a point about the erratic behavior being a result of current draw; if anything else is causing fluctuations in the line it could result in wonky behavior. Do you have a spec sheet that lists the current draw of the device so you know for certain? I'd hate to see you go buy a powered hub and continue to encounter problems.
    -Mark