Thread: Wireless Issues

Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Issues

Good day fellow loungers! I have had an ongoing problem with my wireless network and need some more help. Last fall I bought my wife a Dell 8500 laptop with built in wireless capabiity. Currently my home set up consists of three desktops, a networked printer, her laptop (when she is home) and what ever current computer I am repearing (home business). I am using a Linksys Etherfast Cable Router ( BEFSR81 ver 2) 8 port connected to a cable modium. The etherfast part works well and no problems at all. I also attached a Linksys WAPG54 to the router for the wireless access. The laptop comes on line with no problems but after 10 minutes it goes off line. I click reconnect and it pops right back on line again. I have moved the WAP to several differant places in the house with the same results. I have also changed the channel number (1-9) with no effect ( thinking the phones work on the same frequencey but changing channels should solve that issue). Before I just hard wire the whole house does anyone have any suggestions on solving this issue?
    Thanks in advance for your help and saving me from hearing, again " I thought you solved this problem!"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Issues

Check your power and hibernation settings? They may be kicking in and breaking the connection.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave for the suggestion. However the laptop is plugged in most of the time. BUT I did change all the power settings including when the screen saver starts. I put all the power down optiosn either at never or over a hour for the battery ones. Still no luck. I am hoping that my wife gets connected to her wireless network at work so I can rule out the laptop as an issue. However till then I am lost on what else to try. Again thanks for the sugegstions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some times you will find that buried down deep in the Device manager and then on down in the Driver Details, a check box to allow the device to power down and something as such. Make sure this is NOT checked if your has such an option.

I do have the same entry point device as you and it works just great. One of the things I have found, is to set every thing up without any of the advance security settings. Get it up and running and then start adding the different settings that you feel you need.

As for any thing else, I would wait and see if she can get online at work with it

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Usually a slowdown is an indication there are conflicts with other 2.4MHz(?) products also. I just read the 2.4 processors can interfere. Make sure that authentication is unchecked, in the wireless properties then the advanced tab, also. It takes windows awhile to authenticate and when it can't, then it will disconnect your nic. I've been running wireless for two years and worked through a few glitches.