Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

desktop.ini (W XP Home)

I notice that I now have a desktop.ini shortcut on my desktop -- it wasn't there before, and when I go to delete it a message warns that it is a system file and perhaps shouldn't be deleted. Is there any reason NOT to delete it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: desktop.ini (W XP Home)

If it is really a shortcut that gives you the properties menu when you right click on it, check out where it is pointing, then delete it.

Eitehr way, it should not be there and may have been accidently relocated during some other activities. What I do when I don't know what or why is prior to deleting I simply rename the file. To help me remember what the original file name was (especially if I rename several and they include files with the same name but different extenstions) is simply reverse the extension so that DLL becomes LLD. In the case of INI or EXE which obviously won't work I make INI into NIN and EXE into XEX, etc.

If you do a search for desktop.ini on your harddrive you will find many many ot them. Here is one quote from MS's web: By default, the My Documents, My Music, and My Pictures folders are customized by using the Desktop.ini file and the "Owner=" setting when a new user first logs on. The "Owner=" setting is set to the new user's
    logon name. "

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I suspected as much and will go ahead and delete it after changing the extension if nothing shows up.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The most probable reason it is on your desktop is that you or someone in an Explorer folder or Windows Explorer went to Tools>Folder Options>View>Removed Checkmark in 1) Hide Extension for Known File Types 2) Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) or they did it from the Control Panel>Folder Options. Try putting the check mark back in those two boxes and this item should disappear from your desktop. The most common use for the desktop.ini file is to customize folder appearance and behavior. It also tells Windows how to display a folder.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this truly is / was a shortcut then the file would always appear as "desktop.ini" with extensions hidden or not, with the hide system files, etc. Try it yourself by making a shortcut to one of your desktop.ini files such as your Documents and SettingsUSERIDMy Documentsdesktop.ini. My shortcut went to "Cocuments and Settingsxdgp03lDocsdesktop.ini" and it always appeared as "desktop.ini" no matter how I changed the folder view settings mentioned.

Most likely it was a fat fingered operation and unintentional.

-Jester

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I changed the extension to nin and rebooted with not problems. Then I deleted it and rebooted -- same result!

It may have been put there because I have unchecked the "hide ...extensions" box. But now everything looks ok without the annoying icon on my desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good news and now you have a tip to file away if ever you are unsure of what has happened or what to do.

If ever there is a question you can use the "advanced search" option at Google ( http://www.google.com/ ) and do a specific search on files that are unknown. Often you can find out exactly what a file does or if it is related to some virus or less than useful application.

Congrats on slowly working through your issue!

-Jester