Thread: Sync Speed

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sync Speed

I sync my IIIx to two machines: a Pentium 75 running Windows and the Palm HotSync program/Palm Desktop, and a 486-66 running Linux, pilot-sync/j-pilot. The 486 syncs 2-way, while the Pentium is set to Palm overwrites Desktop (to avoid data corruption).

For some strange reason the 486 syncs in 1/3 the time it takes to sync the pentium.

Any ideas why or suggestions for speeding up the syncs on the Pentium?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sync Speed

If you say that Palm overwrites desktop, then everything has to be written to the desktop. If it's 2-way, then only changed items have to be written (either to the Palm or to the desktop).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying that the Palm HotSync program does a total overwrite of every record, even those not changed (when it is set to handheld overwrites desktop)? That is incredibly inefficient. Are you sure, or are you just assuming?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It was always my understanding that Palm overwrites desktop only applied to changed records on either side. I would suspect that the speed difference is more operating system-related than anything.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That would make sense. A total overwrite, without regard to changes, would be easier to write from a programming standpoint, but incredibly inefficient -- especially in light of the fact that the HotSync program already has the ability to determine changes at the record level.

Back to my original question and related to this point, I did notice that the Linux based pilot-link will skip entire modules (such as ToDo) if it detects that no changes have been made to either since the last sync. The Windows HotSync seems to spend some time examining the records in the module to make certain of no changes before moving on. That is, it appears that pilot-link looks for an indication of changes at the module level first while HotSync looks for the changes at the record level.

Additionally, pilot-link sometimes reports that it is performing a "fast sync" and other times reports that it is doing a "slow sync". I haven't been able to figure out what triggers one or the other. (BTW, the pilot-link "slow sync" is comparable to the speed of the HotSync on the other computer.)