Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Various Questions (Office Pro 2003 )

I have a few questions about Microsoft Office 2003 professional which includes the installation and the use of the programs. They are very general questions that I believe will be easy for someone familiar with Office 2003 to answer. I really didn
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Various Questions (Office Pro 2003 )

Ahhh the mysterious Free Office!!! I will answer your questions if you will get me one of these free CD's! (Actually, don't, cause I just bought Office 2003 Pro and I'd be mad if I got a free one now!)

OK:
    1. Yes Office 2003 comes on one CD, and from what I've been hearing you are getting just what it says, a free full version.
    2. Office 2003 installs itself by default in Program Files/Microsoft/Office 11. You do not have to uninstall your previous version. However you can only use one version of Outlook, so if you install Outlook 2003 you won't be able to use your present version of Outlook. As for #5 I have found Office 2003 to be very intuitive about finding documents and files. If you have your .pst in it's default location it shouldn't have any trouble.
    3. Like previous versions of Office, 2003 can open earlier versions. And like previous versions, 2003 has it's own file format, so you will be prompted to save in either the previous or the new versions.
    4. Same as above.

Try it you'll like it! I am in the camp that really likes Outlook 2003. It is decidly the app that has changed the most, but if you are open minded about the changes, you will quickly grow to become quite attached to them. Other big changes in 2003 are in XML support, and Information Rights Management. One Note is an intriguing tool, do try it out. It is definitely a 1.0 release, but even with a keyboard and desktop it can be quite a useful place to quickly store bits of information. It's kind of an uber-clipboard.

As to why MS has been casting these free copies to the wind, I can only guess, but since they're single copies maybe they figure that the "new technology guy" (you???) in the office will get everybody else hooked.

Have fun. Post back with any problems or comments. Once you get going I'll show you a neat trick with the Outlook flags!

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

1) It's a full version of MOS 2003 Pro and One Note with all it's XML, DRM, and server interface potential. To exploit all the server interfaces you need the server software depending upon what you need to do. See the Office site's tutorials and links and the SBS site for this. It does not have Buisness Contact Manager for Outlook 2003. That's a separate CD--that comes with a commercial box of Office 2003 Pro and that's the only thing you didn't get--the folder says you did but you didn't. I'm looking at what you have in my hand.

2) You wouldn't have to uninstall any of the components of Office 2000 should you want to keep any of them, but I don't see why you would need to. Your call. You'll get a setup dialogue box simply asking you to check the old components you want to keep. The exception is Outlook--only one version of Outlook. It will put up a simple list and ask you what you want to stay--otherwise the old versions will go.

3) I can't speak to 97, but search the lounge for this. It's been done. Hans' Post 332143 addresses this issue well.

4) I leave this to the plethora of Access experience in the Lounge.

5) Outlook 2003 will find and use your current .pst files. It will preserve the contacts, email messages, and settings from your old program.

References: MOS 2003 Review Paul Thurrott

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

kip,

Thanks for the reply and all the answers. One of these days when I feel venturous I think I'll give Office 2003 a try.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Thanks for your reply and links. What is Business Contact Manager? I don't think I have it now with Office 2000, do I?
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Business Contact Manager is an Office 2003 add-in designed to let small businesses better manage contacts, accounts and sale opportunities. For further details see here

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony55,

Thank you for the reply and the link.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Does anyone know if I will be able to create a file in Word or Excel using Microsoft Office 2003 and still be able to open it in Microsoft Office 2000 or 97.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The basic file format for Word and Excel has not changed since Office 97, so the answer is yes, documents and workbooks created in Office 2003 can be opened and edited in Office 97, 2000 and XP/2002.

But...

(There is always a but) If you use features that have been introduced in one of the later versions, they will be lost if you open the document or workbook in an older version. An example of such a new feature is nested tables (tables within tables) in Word; this didn't exist in Word 97.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You would also run into problems if your Excel worksheet contained pivot tables or more rows than 97 could handle. The basic format may not have changed but many of the details have. It is NOT safe to assume any kind of backward compatibility in any version of Office.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

Thanks. I was hoping it would work that way.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Thanks But I don't usually get into anything that would be affected by that type of change.

I do have one spreadsheet that requires the "morefunc.dll" addin to be active to do its calculations. Do you know if that would still be true for Excel 2003?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't yet have Office 2003, so perhaps someone else can answer your question.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

OK, thanks. I hope someone else has an answer.

I have another question for you. Do you have any idea why I wouldn't be getting email notifications of your replies to this thread? I have gotten them from all the others but when you reply I have not been notified for either of your replies. Puzzling!!!!! Gremlins, I suppose.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You will almost certainly have to install the morefunc Add-In, and it should be able to run on Office 2003. If your workbook can be censored for confidential information (and is small enough for posting), you could try posting it here - if you wish verification. HTH
    Grüße

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast