5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MyDocuments mystery (WinXP)

On our (networked)-systems the MyDocuments directory (& subs) are automatically synchronized with our personal network share. If I'm disconnected I can therefore still use these directories (copy, add, delete), as soon as I re-connect the changes are synchronized.

Out of curiosity I looked where the files reside on my C:-drive when I'm NOT connected and guess what??? I cannot find these anywhere!!! I did searches etc. without success.. under the 'normal' location "Cocuments and SettingsMyName" I do NOT find this too.... What's the trick here??? Anyone?

Erik Jan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: MyDocuments mystery (WinXP)

You need to talk to your IT people and then let us know.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Seems like you might be using roaming profiles. Then, I think that the folders you might expect to be on your local PC are actually on the network so you can access them from wherever you logon.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This soulds like you might be using Offline Folders. Have a look at Step-by-Step Guide to User Data and User Settings for more info about roaming profiles, folder redirection, offline folders and related matters. You can see all the offline files when you are offline by right clicking the "synchronize" icon in the system tray and selecting View Files.

You may be able to find some information about how offline files are configured in the registry key HKCUSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsNetcache or HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionNetCache subkey

StuartR