5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Encryption transfer NTFS (WinXP)

On my HD I use NTFS with encryption. Now I own a USB-plug and want to format that as NTFS as well. Then if I copy my files they are safe and can remain/become encrypted as well. However, when I'm at home (WinXP Home - also NTFS), I'd like to read these files too (and write encrypted files back).

I'd like to know how I can set the encryption on my home system to become identical of that of my work system... On my work system I do have exported the encryption PFX-file.... I'm guessing that is what I'd require on my home system... what are the steps I should take here?

Erik Jan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Encryption transfer NTFS (WinXP)

The home version does support encryption. You will not be able to do what you want to.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Encryption transfer NTFS (WinXP)

Interesting question, and I'm only starting to understand EFS. Assuming you upgrade your home system to XP Pro, you can export your certificate from your work computer and import it to your home computer. See the Technet article Exporting and Importing EFS and DRA Certificates and Private Keys for steps. However, you first should check with your network administrator to make sure this doesn't violate security policy. Also, depending on the nature of the work certificate, it might depend on a company key infrastructure and therefore not be portable outside the firewall.