Lounger
    Thanks

Procedure too large (A2k)

I'm getting a compile error "Procedure too large". What can I do to get rid of it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Procedure too large (A2k)

I've never run into this error in Access, although it used to turn up in VB4 when an individual procedure was over the 64Kb limit. If you can provide more details about the environment you're running in (Windows version, Access or SQL Server, etc.) and the exact situation, perhaps someone else can help.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have a very long procedure or function, try to split it up into several parts. You will have to pass values needed by the parts either as arguments to the procedures or functions, or by setting module-level or global variables.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I've never encountered this error in Access. The code limitations for a Visual Basic 6 code module (which would also be applicable to Access 2K) are specified in MSDN documentation. See:

Visual Basic Code Limitations

To quote briefly:

"Each procedure can contain up to 64K of code. If a procedure or module exceeds this limit, Visual Basic generates a compile-time error. If you encounter this error, you can avoid it by breaking extremely large procedures into several smaller procedures, or by moving module-level declarations into another module."

Recommend follow recommendation to "deconstruct" large procedure into smaller ones.

HTH