Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: office 2003 update fails (2003)

the first place i tried update was from the office web site. it failed.
    i tried downloading the 'administrative' update. seems it is exactly the same as the 'full file ' update. though, i may see if there is a special way to install these .msp updates other than by simply clicking on them.

i will try reinstalling, though i suspect that it won't help. there is something update is reading that it doesn't like. or some service that needs to be running that isn't? though one would hope that it would give an error message about it. sorry, that is an unrealistic expectation. microsoft software isn't designed to that standard.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I had trouble squaring "i exported and deleted, from hklm/..../office, and kkcu/..../office, 8.0 floder, 9.0 folder, all keys from 10.0 except common. registration and front page. with Office XP listed in #5. Where do these come from? Are they normal key/xubkey names with retroversions in the name or remnants from somewhere?

The informstion on that error suggests that an uninstall reinstall which takes relatively little time in Office 2003 may do it. I'd try every download server source for the update first.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

re: folders for 8.0 and 9.0, i had the same question: why were they there? there wasn't any info in them. i had partitioned the harddrive, installed winxp on the new partition, then office xp. later upgraded to office 2003. there shouldn't even have been anything below iexplorer 6.

re: reinstalling office. i am having second thoughts. since detect and repair fails, and change (not actually changing anything, but just using that option) fails, i am concerned that if i uninstall, the reinstall will fail, as i am confidant that office will not clean up after itself. i do have goback but if something goes wrong...

i just noticed that in programs there are folders called 'office update' and 'office update 11'. what would those be for?. i tried moving them and installing update, but it failed again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

success. uninstalled of03, reinstalled ofo3, kb830000 client version, installed ok. i checked winword.exe and have 11.0.6113. perhaps it was a missing reg entry. i better be more careful with the reg cleaners. :-).

thanks for sticking with me on this.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

My concern was that you had registry entries that were old that might interfere; but I don't think so now. 03 is the best yet at cleaning up on install, but that doesn't mean 100% of the time. I can't find info on those two folders on the web, in Woody's book, the MS Press Office book, or the 03 Resource kit. The Update 11 folder contains cab files, .bin files, .dlls, and a zip file titled OHotfix. The other is empty. D&R was a good idea. Set a Restore Point before uninstalling. SR tracks program files, and besides, you can undo the SR if you need to. The update glitch shouldn't affect the installation of Office 03 anyway.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You were thorough and tenacious with it, and I'm glad it got in and I wish I had a clear picture of whether different servers are used for different download sites. Some of the most advanced people here, with an awful lot of Windows experience over the years, stay away from the reg cleaners. I have used Winguides' Reg Mechanic. One of several things could have been involved.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

smbp: things i have read on other sites indicated that different versions of a patch are sometimes available on different sites. someone would try a patch and it had adverse effects, then find another downlaod, same name, but different size and date, and it would work. the ie6 patch that screwed up scrolling is one example.

i currently use several reg cleaners. the only one i ever had problems with was microsofts regclean. it kept removing gobacks registration. i presume that registry mechanic will clean without messing up the office ability to update, since you have used it successfully. do you use any special exclusions or check each of the recommended deletions? or do you let it do it's thing?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I let the reg cleaner from Winguides just do its thing and as far as I know have not had problems. I have collected a number of others but not used them. I have thought there were differences between downloads and site availability the way you have described. I'm not sure about Reg Mechanic and Go Back--it has some interesting interaction with defraggers though.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

if you were referring to an interaction between defraggers and goback, it is necessary to exclude the gobackio.bin file from the defragging, or the goback history can be lost. after the defrag goback takes over, goes crazy for a while updating itself. best not to plan on using the system during that time.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you turn off RGB during the defrag, it's my understanding that analagous to turning off Sys Restore, you're going to lose all of its previous snapshots or 'gobackability' until it creates new "goback points." It also reconfigures the MBR as do some other utitlities like it (Raxco's Fist Defense ISR) for instance.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The reason I mentioned the defrag issue, was because it was one of the points showcased last night at a talk by the Raxo Chief Windows Technologist who is also a Windows hardware storage MVP. He definitely recommended to excluded all of Go Back when you defrag. I can tell you that RGB can complicate things after you defrag, but need to get more information from him on how. I will make it a point to do this soon and then pass on the information to you. Norton Speed Disk was a native defrag to several flavors of Windows through Win 2K, I believe, then MS switched to a minimally functioning defrag in XP from Exec Soft.

I would recommend using Executive Soft Diskeeper 8.0 or Raxco Perfect Disk 6.0 because they are a quantum leap better than the native defrags and do so many important things for your file system that Speed Disk does not touch.

You can download a full version of each, and run them free for 30 days with full functionality and compare them and read the sites. It will be one of the best investmenets you ever make. Make sure you have enough free space on each drive you defrag--that's a deal breaker on defragging. Raxio says you need only 5% with Perfect Disk ; MS recommends 20% on XP; Exec Soft would like you to have 30% optimally.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

i had been using diskeeper 8 . worked fine, but i didn't like the idea that it was using ram even though it wasn't 'running'. apparently it is designed to be always on, defragging in background and they simply didn't provide an option for 'on demand'. i don't have a need for always on. after a month i may have 3% fragmentation. and it makes things sluggish at just the wrong times. diskeeper defrags, goback responds, and i can't use the computer.

just got perfectdisk and will try it out. i haven't used the ms included defragger for years. because i had heard that it was a recycled symantec product, and besides, there is no way to exclude files.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by <!profile=unkamunka>unkamunka<!/profile> to make the links "live" - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

i don't turn off goback during defrag. the roxio site, some time ago, gave me the info to exclude the gobackio.bin from defrag. i had the idea that this kept goback from losing its history. prior to writing this i went back to roxio and am now finding the information somewhat confusing. (http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_supp...ml#_Toc12861753) part of it seems to say that goback will clear it's history and logging is suspended. it then goes on to say that it is continueing to log and can restore to a pre defrag state. another part says that the defragger will stall because it will be blocked from defragging gobackio.bin. therefore, it suggests excluding goback's data file from defragging. but it isn't clear if this should be done as a matter of course or only if the defrag fails because of it. btw. i do not use norton for defragging. it made my system unbootable twice. goback has become a norton product. i still use Norton antivirus 2003. the nav 2004 produced boot stall problems that symantec wouldn't acknowledge. Symantec is now off my list of acceptable new software.

the symantec site says (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/gobac...p;#8719;=Norton GoBack&ver=3.0&src=sg&pcode=ngb&svy=&csm=no) to exclude gabackio.bin. that if it is defragged the system may become damaged or inoperable. and that a large amount a disk activity during defrag may use up the goback history space making reverting to a pre defrag state impossible. sounds reasonable.

i guess i will continue to exclude it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have had Diskeeper 7 and 8 now that it has come out. I find that running it in the background does slow things down. No one would make a defragger you can't run "on demand," and you can run Diskeeper on demand. You can try both free for a month, why wouldn't anyone? Most people pay little attention to defragging, and don't understand it.

They don't realize that while CPU, Memory, and Hard Drive capacity have grown by leaps and bounds the last few years in an Intel Prescott dominated world, that hard drive speed is not following Moore's Law and Disk I/O has not increased much. Defragging is all the more important. It is one of the most neglected areas of computing by most users. Many who are successful and "educated" don't even know what it is or care. Many believe the old wive's tale that if you defrag often you will somehow abrade or hurt your hard drive.

Last night I won a copy of Perfect Disk from Raxco. I am going to try hard to learn any differences and advantages they claim. They do "say" it will do things that Diskeeper will not on their site saying that PD is certified for Win Server 2003, does single pass defrag of files and free space, needs only 5% free space, is faster, does MFT placement to enhance performance, defragments NTFS metadata and the hibernate file and Diskeeper doesn't.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

perhaps i was exagerating i bit. it is true that diskeeper can be set to not defrag whenever it wants. however it can't be set to not load itself, even if it is not running. i went back and forth with diskeeper tech support about this. they seemed to have no way of stopping it from loading, telling me that it wasn't really using much cpu time. i simply don't like the idea of having a program pointlessly sitting in memory, when it isn't being used. i suppose if it is being used on a large corporate system (which is what it is mostly designed for) this isn't an issue. perhaps you could installing it, tell it to run on demand, and check task manager. see if isn't there anyway. so far i have found that perfectdisk doesn't do this. it only installs itself when i am going to use it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast