Thread: Grammar Options

Lounger
    Thanks

Grammar Options

Our grammar options are grayed out under Tools > Options > Spelling & Grammar. I think this is due to the fact that there is no set Writing Style in place. I'd like to set the Writing Style, but it too is grayed out. Any ideas as to how I can manipulate these settings?

I have a feeling that these grammar options were disabled before Word was deployed to the users, but I can't see how this setting cannot be changed on an as needed basis. If so, how can I change the setting globally?

Thanks in advance,
    Solo

BAM

Re: Grammar Options

Hi Solo,

What version of Word and OS are you using?

If you are using Word 97 and Windows 2000 then the problem has to do with the permissions that are set for the Proofing key in the Registry.

See this article from the MS KB for detailed instructions on how to correct this:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q257/6/43.asp>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q257/6/43.asp</A>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

That's it!

Initially when this firm rolled out Word they had opted to prevent users from having access to the grammar checker because it "slows down their processor speeds." I don't agree and will attempt to get approval from higher ups to make the necessary change to the registry. This is the first place I've worked (as Word developer and Network Admin) where they have disabled this feature. Does anyone see a benefit to doing so?

Thanks BAM!!!

BAM

Hi Solo,

Perhaps this decision was due to a bug that was corrected in Office 97 SR2.

The Grammar check would run continuously which caused the CPU to run at about 100%.

However if the patch is in place this should no longer be a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!