Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer's 'file tips' info box (XP vs. XP SP1)

In Windows Explorer, if you take your mouse and hover over a file (note, for this problem use a file, not a folder), a "file tips" box pops up with information about the file. At a minimum, the file tips box gives you the Type of file, the Date modified, and the Size. However, if you *do not* have XP SP1 installed, it gives you *more* information, namely the, very helpful, information of Author and Title of the file.

SP1 seems to eliminate that extra info. Can any one figure out how to get it back?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Explorer's 'file tips' info box (XP vs. XP SP1)

I think it just depends on the file type and information that the application which created the file puts there. I've XP Pro SP-1 and the Author, Title etc. shows up for those documents that have the information there.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

If you wouldn't mind, could you try moving your file to a network drive to see what happens? Can you see the additional info?

Lounger
    Thanks

More info ...

I've since found that, on the affected workstations (those with SP1), if I move the file to a local drive, the additional information shows in the InfoTip box. The additional information does not show when the file is on a network drive.

The unaffected machines (those without SP1) do not have this problem -- the additional information shows whether the file is on a network drive or on a local drive.

Thanks

My guess would be that the feature was changed for performance reasons, but it's only a guess.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Better late than never - see <post#=434760>post 434760</post#> for a solution.

Lounger
    Thanks

Outstanding, Hans! Way to go!

Thank you for taking the time to follow-up in this thread, many months later!

And our estimators thank you too! Their file names are like this: 0302038.Est. And the only way they could see the estimate title without opening the estimate was to hover over it. They can now do that again. Yippee!