New Lounger
    Thanks

Tab Key Moves Two Cells in Table (Word 2000 SR-1)

Recently the behavior of the tab key has changed in my installation of Word. When I press the tab key in a table, the cursor now moves TWO cells to the right, not one (and will create a new row if it is in the second-to-last cell in a row). Shift-tab, however, moves only one cell to the left. Pressing tab in a document outside a table inserts just one tab character. Exiting/rebooting does not change this behavior. Is this (yet another) bug in Word? Any fixes/suggestions? My apologies if this has been dealt with in another thread; I did a search of the forums but did not find this subject addressed.

I am using Word 2000, SR-1, Build 9.0.3821. Thanks

Thanks

Re: Tab Key Moves Two Cells in Table (Word 2000 SR-1)

If you press Tab in text, you do not get two tab characters? (You might need to visit the toolbar's Show All button to verify.) Assuming that's still normal, it's possible that someone has done a key assignment to some something special, and this has gone awry. Custom key assignments can be printed out using the Print What drop down in the File>Print dialog, or there was a post earlier this week with some other methods for discovering them. Otherwise... Hmmm...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

With the cursor somewhere in a table, press Alt+Ctrl+NumPad Plus. The cursor should turn into a clover. The press tab. What command shows up in the dialog box? It should be NextCell. If not reassign it to NextCell. If the problem persists in more than one document, try the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil; problem solved. I had inadvertently created a macro called "nextcell" which of course replaced the built-in command. I usually append "macro" to a macro name where I think it might replace a built-in command, but I neglected to do so on this one.