3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

syntax error (Access 2000)

I came accross difficulties with replacing a constant for date in the where clause and receive the message syntax error.

" WHERE (((orders.orderdate)>#1/1/2004#) AND ((Customers.size)=1) AND ((Customers.Customerid)=118))"
    my constant is :

Public Const CnstStock As Date = #2/2/2004#
    after replacing the constant i receive the error :

" WHERE (((orders.orderdate)> > #" & Format(CnstStock, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#" ) AND ((Customers.size)=1) AND ((Customers.Customerid)=118))"

Something is wrong with the above code and i will be grateful
    to receive some advice

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: syntax error (Access 2000)

I believe you are ending up with duplicate effort - I think you can leave out the # characters in your WHERE clause and not use the Format statement as you have defined the Public Constant CnstStock as a date type already.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have an extra > character, and the quotes aren't matched correctly. Moreover, although Access creates enormous amounts of parentheses ( and ) around the where-conditions, you don't need to copy them in your own SQL.

" WHERE orders.orderdate > #" & Format(CnstStock, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND Customers.size=1 AND Customers.Customerid=118"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your advice.I receive now a message "missing operator , ]
    or item in the query". I have seen that it is not due to the constant,but somehow
    when i replace the constant i must remove some bracket or so.I have made a lot of trials, but couldnt pinpoint what i have more or less with the brackets.
    Could you have a look at my record source? With basworking i have named
    the string that is working and with bas the string that shows the defect after
    replacement

best regards

Public Const CnstStock As Date = #1/1/2004#

basworking = " SELECT [order details].ProductID, products.grade, products.size, orders.orderid, [order details].cartons, [order details].Quantity, orders.orderdate, Customers.afid, Customers.Customerid" & _
    " FROM ((Customers INNER JOIN orders ON Customers.Customerid = orders.customerid) INNER JOIN [order details] ON orders.orderid = [order details].OrderID) INNER JOIN products ON [order details].ProductID = products.Productid " & _
    " WHERE (((orders.orderdate)>#1/1/2004#) AND ((Customers.afid)=1) AND ((Customers.Customerid)=118))"

bas = " SELECT [order details].ProductID, products.grade, products.size, orders.orderid, [order details].cartons, [order details].Quantity, orders.orderdate, Customers.afid, Customers.Customerid" & _
    " FROM ((Customers INNER JOIN orders ON Customers.Customerid = orders.customerid) INNER JOIN [order details] ON orders.orderid = [order details].OrderID) INNER JOIN products ON [order details].ProductID = products.Productid " & _
    " WHERE (((orders.orderdate)> #" & Format(CnstStock, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND ((Customers.afid)=1) AND ((Customers.Customerid)=118))"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I wrote in my previous reply, you don't need all those ( and ) in the Where condition. They can easily trip you up; if you count carefully, you will see that you have an extra ( without ). Here is the version without all those parentheses:

" WHERE orders.orderdate> #" & Format(cnststock, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND Customers.afid=1 AND Customers.Customerid=118"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Hans,

I somehow get the error syntax error even though i have simplified my code
    in order to find out where the error lies.Is it possible in the declaration of the constant?

Dim OhMy As Date
    OhMy = #1/1/2004#

bas = " SELECT [order details].ProductID, products.grade, products.size, orders.orderid, [order details].cartons, [order details].Quantity, orders.orderdate, Customers.afid, Customers.Customerid" & _
    " WHERE orders.orderdate > #" & Format(OhMy, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# "

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the exact error you get now, and where? If I put this code in the Northwind database, and remove the fields that don't exist there, such as afid, from the SQL string, it works fine. I can open a recordset from it.