New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Charts (2000 & XP)

This is my first post - but I have been enjoying and finding useful the entries throughout the Lounge for some time.
    Here is my issue--> I have a five data series chart with three data points for each of the series: jan, feb, mar. I would like to NOT chart the data point for february for the third series - without deleting the data from the spreadsheet.
    The only way that I have been able to do this is to select a blank cell from the worksheet when selecting the values for the third series. If I don't select a blank cell, then March's data point is displayed as February's data. I have currently been using the left-most cell of the selected range as the blank cell.
    Is there a more elegant way to do this? I have a dummy data file if this would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Laura

Thanks

Re: Excel Charts (2000 & XP)

Without seeing the setup, I can't be too detailed. One possible solution would be to create a "dummy" extract of the data to plot. In this data "extract" you could use an IF to get rid of any data you do not want to plot (Like February) by using a NA error (which will interpolate)

If you post your file we can have a look at it.
    Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached the file that shows the source data with the blank cell rather than the cell address pointing to the actual data. I thought about an If statement, but thought there might be something easier.. Thanks for having a look..

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Thanks

Edited by <!profile=unkamunka>unkamunka<!/profile> to correct Lounge markup - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

One simple way (that is still general) is to keep your data set as it is. Copy the entire data set to another region (eg G3:J8) and set this region up to plot on the chart.
    The delete the points you do not want to plot

If you want to be able to select multiple things and make it more general, you could do something like this:
    In H4 enter the formula:
    <pre>=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C$1),ISBLANK($A4)),C4,NA())</pre>

Copy it and paste it to H4:J8

Your data should still be identical. If you add anything in the cell in row 1 above feb in the original data (C1) and something in col A of the row with North East (A6), it will put an NA error in the plotted data and not plot anything. You can select multiple columns and rows.

If you need something different you will have to elaborate about other constraints.

Steve