2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Documents (WIN XP Pro)

Does anyone know how to re-allocate the My Documents which is located in the Documents & Settings folder to become a "stand-alone" My Documents folder

I tell you why

I've migrated over the years from one MS OS to the next and back in the days of WIN 95 there was no Docs & Settings folder

Naturally I used the then "stand-alone" My Docs folder for all my Docs

When the Docs & Settings folder came along I continued to nominate the "Stand-alone" My Docs folder for my Docs

My problem is that whenever I go to "Save" a Doc, WIN XP Pro pops up with the Docs & Settings My Docs as the depository not my My Docs "Stand-alone" folder and I have to drill back to my "Stand-alone" My Docs folder to deposit my file where I wish it stored @#$%^&

Is there any way to "re-direct" the Save function so it pops up with the "Stand-alone My Docs folder and of course, if it's also possible, stop any of WIN XP Pro's spontaneous popping files into the Docs & Settings area ?

Awaiting any thoughts on this one

Cheers n Tears
    Max Rieper
    mrieper@optusnet.com.au

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My Documents (WIN XP Pro)

Here's how I do it, there are other methods. I use TweakUI. If you don't have it you can download the latest version From Microsoft Here. Once you save the file to your computer and run the .exe, TweakUI will be in Control Panel. Open it up and click on the "My Computer" tab. In the lower portion of the dialog box is a section called "Special Folders" Open the drop down list, choose My Documents, and then browse to the folder you want. You'll get a warning message, but ok through it and you're all set.

kip

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IT WORKED !!

Kip

As the Fat Lady said to the Fat Man

"Thanks fer the tip Mate"

Many thanks that's one more thing I won't be able to curse MS for anymore !!

Cheers n Beers (Sam Adams preferred)
    Max

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Max, rest assured that you have plenty of other things to curse MS about.

I tip a virtual Winter Lager to you from the other side of the pond (you have excellent taste). Glad you got it worked out!
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

You're not wrong Mate !@#$%^

I've had the misfortune of being involved with computers business-wise since 1963 (Message Switching/Telex Exchanges) and with PC's since the Trash 80 days when one thought they were "Big-time" with 4K in the Ram slot !!

OK on the Winter Lager, sounds good too !!

I've been brewing my own for over 30yrs now

SO<

Cheers n Beers
    Max