2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merge into Word (XP 2002)

I tried to use the data from a select query to merge in Word. First it doesn't give me the option to select a query to do a merge. I just get an error. I have tried it from Access and from Word and neither will work. The select query is based on two tables one for objectors and one for agents. An Objector may use an agent and all correspondence should be sent to the agent. This means that the address can come frrom the objectors table unless the agent used field is selected.

I thought it would be easy to do and I could have sworn you got the option to use a query as part of a mail merge in past versions of Word/ Access.

Michelle

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge into Word (XP 2002)

The mail merge interface and the default method have changed considerably in Word 2002, but it is still possible to use queries in mail merges from Word to Access. If you provide more details, we might be able to help you. You mention "it doesn't give me the option to select a query to do a merge" and "I just get an error". What error, and where?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have modified word to include the old Mail Merge Helper, so I am using Tools, Mail Merge

When I click on Open data source and find the datatbase I get the Data Link properteis box.
    Provider Tab is set to Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider
    Connection Tab has the storage path of the db
    It is a password protected db and has a user name in their
    Advanced tab is set to Read
    I am then asked for the password
    I get a list of the tables, but I need a query. I am sure it at this point you could select query or table.
    I have tried changing the options to Views rather than Tables and selecting the query
    I just get "Word is unable to open the data source"

I have tried a random table and that will work but i am unable to use a query designed to get the data we want.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try accessing the database through DDE instead of OLE DB. In that case, you should get a dialog with two tabbed pages: Tables and Queries.

You can also try ODBC; this is the option I prefer, but it has limitations (no Access-specific and user-defined functions, no parameter queries.)

If it still doesn't work, there may be a problem with the query.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I remember in something about DDE / ODBC for older versions. However, I checked the Provider tab and only OLE options. We are running on Windows XP on Active Directory. Could this affect it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In step 2 of the mail merge helper, select "Open Data Source..."
    In my version of Word 2002, this displays the "Select Data Source" dialog.

Option 1:
    Double click "+Connect to New Data Source.odc".
    This displays the "Confirm Data Source" dialog.
    The only option listed is "OLE DB Database Files".
    Click "Show all" to see the other options, such as "MS Access Databases via DDE" and "... ODBC".
    See figure 1.

Option 2:
    For this to work, you *must* have ticked "Confirm Conversion at Open" in the General tab of Tools | Options...
    Browse to your Access database and double click it.
    The "Confirm Data Source" dialog should list several options now, among which "MS Access Databases via DDE".
    See Figure 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (14.9 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Even with this the original Query didn't work. So I did a copy of it and made modifications and it works great now