New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the system date in mid-day (Windows XP--Office XP)

We use a template that inserts a "printdate" on letters. The problems is we need to start dating the letters for the next day around 1:00 p.m. We click on the "clock" on the task bar and change it to tomorrow's date. After about 15 minutes, it changes back to the current date. (In Windows 98, we didn't have this problem.) The only answer we have been able to come up with is to actually key in the date rather than using the "printdate." The benefit to using the "printdate" is that we don't have to worry about physically changing the date on letters that come back for revision on a later day. If there a way to make XP honor the system date were change in the middle of the day.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing the system date in mid-day (Windows XP--Office XP)

Welcome to the Lounge. I think there's a better way to solve your problem than to keep switching the system date. Before 1:00, simply enter the {date}. After 1:00, use a date calculation field where you use tomorrow's date. Download the attachment in <post#=249902>post 249902</post#>.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Taking macropod's excellent Date calculation fields (as mentioned in Phil's post), I have attached a document that does what you need. You should be able to cut & paste the date field directly into your templates. To change the "tickover" time or the delay you will need to reveal the field formatting. To make it easier to see these 2 variables I have formatted them red.

The only limitation I can see is that it does not allow for weekends. i.e. documents printed Friday afternoon will have a Saturday date, instead of Monday. If that's a problem I don't think would be too difficult to use macropod's "day of week" field to skips the weekend.

Regards,

Matthew
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Clock synchronization is an optional feature of Windows, but changing the time will affect everything, including file save dates and times, e-mail sent dates and times, appointment book reminders, everything. I should think that would be the solution of very last resort.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,

The attached should do what you need. The document uses a Word field that is set up to increment the PRINTDATE for a document once the time reaches 1pm. If the file is printed at or after 1pm on a Friday, the date is updated to the following Monday.

Different approach to Matthew's, but the principle's the same.

Explanatory notes included.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]