New Lounger
    Thanks

printing problem (2002/SP2)

What I see is not what I get. Can anybody point to why the attached document always prints a blank page after page 1. I have fiddled endlessly with page and section breaks, section breaks, et al. All to no avail.

As always, thanks for any help.
    ChrisP
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: printing problem (2002/SP2)

The first paragraph on what you see on screen as page 2 has "Page break before" set in the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph... If you clear this check box, the blank page will disappear. (Telltales: on "page 2", the status bar said 3/5, and if you display non-printing characters, the little square to the left of the paragraph)

New Lounger
    Thanks

But then the text wraps back onto the first page. Changing the section break to next page reintroduces the blank page.

Am I missing the blindingly obvious again? I usually am [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ChrisP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From what I can see, the blank page is printing because the document is set for odd/even pages. If that option is turned off, the page numbers are 1-4. After I turned off odd/even then turned it back on the pages 1-4 stayed as they should.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    If you view the document in normal view, you'll see that there is a continuous section break just before the paragraph containing the page break before. Select & delete this continuous section break & your document will not have a blank page 2 & your text on page 2 will remain there.

You also need to either adjust the space above for the 2nd to last paragraph on page 1, or better yet, put that in the footer of page one, especially since the document is set to have a different first page header/footer. See attached.

By the way, at one point your document had macros & will cause macro warning messages. You'd be best advised to copy everything over to a new document.
    Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help. It is sorted - with your help - but another way. Hans' answer made me look at the status bar and I noted that the document appeared to start on page 'iv'. Simply resetting that to 'i' (Insert -> Page Numbers) was enough to banish the blank page. Not elegant, and who knows why, but it works for me. This also maintains the intentional margin differences between the first page and the remainder of the doc.

Thanks to all,
    ChrisP