Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to check for office updates (Office Xp/2002)

WHen I try to check for updates (firewall disabled), I get the following message. Anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer Help

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
    There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
    Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the WindowsInstaller hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support for assistance.
    You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to check for office updates (Office Xp/

If this is related to your <post#=342229>post 342229</post#>, OEM software that was not bundled with your computer could also cause this problem.
    Grüße

Lounger
    Thanks

This is an unrelated problem. I have no OEM software that did not come with my computer installed. I believe this problem has to do with the upgrade of Windows Installer from 1.0 to 1.1 losing the .MSP files. However, I cannot find how to fix the problem.

As far as OEM software, then, are you saying it is a bad idea to buy OEM versions from strangers?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

One of the other issues with OEM software is that Microsoft will tend to refer you back to the hardware supplier rather than dealing with Product Support issues themselves. The hardware supplier can turn out not to be extensively equipped for software support.

As far as the Windows Installer is concerned, have you tried running Add/Remove Programs to see whether a reinstall can recapture your Update possibilities?

If you cannot reinstall from Add/Programs, you may well need to start over again from scratch. From what you say, you already have the latest version of the Windows Installer onboard. If you do not, it is worth installing that before starting all over again. Generally, the newer version of Installer will take over from the one supplied with the CD (if that is older).

As to buying OEM software, personally, I would contemplate it if I were buying the related hardware at the same time. Otherwise, I would not. (I have seen it convincingly argued that the money saved up front in buying OEM is lost many times over in toil, tears and sweat in the long run.)

HTH
    Grüße

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to check for office updates (Office Xp/2002)

Some legitimate sales of OEM software come with hardware that is not an entire PC. I have seen windows OEM versions sold with a hard drive for example.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:
    Thanks for pointing this out. I guess I was thinking more in terms of someone who bought a PC with OEM disks & then sold or gave away the OEM applications.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make correction that Stuart R pointed out
    Hi Bruce:
    See if the link in <post#=341982>post 341982</post#> helps.

As far as buying OEM versions from strangers, while I don't wish to give legal advice, I think it's illegal...unless you're buying the whole computer (or original equipment that comes with OEM products, as Stuart's post points out.) Manufacturers sell OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) versions of Windows, Office, etc. with their computers. The buyer does not have the right to sell, give, or loan the CDs that come with the computer. Otherwise, one person could buy a computer with software & everyone else could get a free version of the OS, Office, etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have seen where a OEM version was sold with a "screw" or "bolt". Instructions stated that the hardware item was to be installed in a hole of the computer, and not removed and passed on to another computer. Within the fine nit picken of the ULA of the Windows OS, you will find that this could be proper, but I believe that this is really stretching it pretty thin.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.