Lounger
    Thanks

msspell3.dll error/Word crash (Word 2000 SP3)

User has the following problem: opens Word, begins to type, Word crashes. msspell3.dll caused an invalid page fault. If I turn off "Check spelling as you type," Word works normally.

I've tried deleting Normal.dot, deleting the custom.dic file to rule out corruption, and replacing the msspell3.dll file with a known good copy, all to no avail. Any ideas? Word is working for the time being, but the user really wants her spellcheck back. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: msspell3.dll error/Word crash (Word 2000 SP3)

This is listed as a problem on the MS Knowledge Base for Spanish text. Your user should first check if Tools/Language/Set Language is set to Spanish & if Detect Language Automaticaly is checked. If so, see this article. If not, it could be that there is some other language setting affecting it. Is the keyboard set up for Spanish?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your assistance. The language is set to English (US), and detect language automatically is not checked. Just to be sure, I reset that as the default, and still the crash.

User says the last thing she did in Word that was "out of the ordinary" was to download clipart from the MS gallery online. I'm almost to the point of reinstalling Word. One other interesting side effect - after the crash, when user reopens Word, it is listed as Document 7 every time (even after deleting and recreating the Normal.dot).

Lounger
    Thanks

One more thing - although she does have a non-standard keyboard (ergonomic), it is not set up (nor can I find any settings) for any language other than English.

(eta - I'm finally a LOUNGER!!!)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I've had this. Sometimes, after a crash, or some other application is open, Word starts with Document 2 (or 3, etc.).Something else is running that is causing this. I'd check a few things.

1. First, reboot.
    2. Next, follow Step 1 in [<post#=197827>post 197827</post#>] regarding deleting temp files.
    3. Make sure Outlook isn't running & that Outlook doesn't have Word as the email editor.

Now try it again. Check not only one document, but more than 1. If Word doesn't start with Document 1 or if the problem continues, go through all the steps in the above link.

The ergonomic keyboard won't affect this...I was referring to the keyboard setting under Control Panel/Keyboard/Language tab (sorry for not making this clearer). You can check all the settings or Language described in <post#=21146>post 21146</post#> and <post#=270936>post 270936</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Final resolution was a complete reinstall of Office.

Thanks for your assistance.