Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 Accidental Rule Insert (97 SP2)

This'll be easy for the gurus here, but I no longer have Word 97 installed, and I'm asking for the benefit of a correspondent. She uses Word 97 in Normal view, with para marks only exposed. She wants

1. to disable the autoformat setting that creates a horizontal bar when you type four hyphens, then return. Where is it in the menus?

2. to backspace over or otherwise immediately delete an accidentally created h-bar in other copies of Word 97 in the office. It seems to be hard to do that.

Suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 Accidental Rule Insert (97 SP2)

1. Tools | AutoCorrect..., AutoFormat As You Type tab. I think it is the "Borders" check box.

2. Undo (Ctrl+Z) works immediately after AutoFormat As You Type has kicked in.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Frank:
    The option to be disabled is Borders under Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat as you type. Alll those options should probably be UNchecked unless you specifically want them.

You can't backspace or use delete to remove them. They are borders & must be removed by having the cursor in the paragraph or selecting it & going to Format/Borders & Shading & removing the paragraph border. You can also use the Tables toolbar to remove the border, as I recall.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, everyone. Printed (to simple HTML - how neat!), and passed on. Now she can resume her ancient habits, like....

------------

--

-frank