1. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to add a 2nd Monitor (WIN XP Pro)

I am having difficulty trying to add a 2nd monitor to my computer

I'm running XP Pro on a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro 2 Motherboard with an Athlon 2.8GHz CPU and 1GB of DDR RAM
    The current Video card is an AGP Winfast A310 with 256MBs Ram

I fitted a S3 Virge DX/GX PCI video card and attempted to install the driver for it but ended up getting an error message saying "This device cannot start - Code 10"

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what is the correct way to install a 2nd monitor

I need to have the 2nd monitor as I have just installed a Sony GBN20D11 21" monitor which unfortunately won't sync up at 640x480, so that until its driver is installed during bootup I can't read anything on its screen

To be able to access the early bootup screens I have to swap the Sony for my old 14" monitor !@#$%

Hence the need to have the 2nd monitor, and what's more I need this monitor to be the one "on-line" at switch-on

Awaiting any help

Cheers n Tears
    Max Rieper
    mrieper@optusnet.com.au

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to add a 2nd Monitor (WIN XP Pro)

To add a second monitor, you need to install dual monitor graphic card, as Appian Jeronimo, Matrox Millennium P-Series or many other.

If you try to install the second one-monitor video card, you will not succeed, because your motherboard can run only one video card at a time. If you have AGP video card inserted, all PCI video cards (as well as onboard video) will be disabled on power-on, that's what your error message means.

If your monitor cannot support low resolution, wait until Windows starts and loads the appropriate driver.

4. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your advice

I have discovered that the Winfast A310 AGP card had a 2nd Video port, albeit a digital one, but I found that my Gigabyte motherboard kit had a digital/vga adaptor card and I now have the 2nd monitor running

However I'm still in a little bit of bother, insofar as, the Winfast A310's driver has a "Extend my Windows desktop on to this monitor" function for the 2nd monitor which when I click on it only produces a blank blue screen on the 2nd monitor @#$%^

Have you any idea why it doesn't show a dupilcate of the desktop as it alleges it should ??

Thanks agin

Cheers n Beers
    Max

5. Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Extend my monitor..." creates extra monitor space on the second screen, you can drag any window with your mouse to the second screen, or some applications (like powerpoint viewer) will default to using the second screen.

You can also move the relative position of the two screens, controlling which is on the right/left etc. from that same dialog box by dragging the screens about.

StuartR

6. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Thanks for answering my question

HOWEVER,

I don't understand how to "drag" any of the #1 monitor's "Windows", (or do you mean desktop icons ?), over to the #2 monitor when all I can see on the #2 monitor's screen is the blue background colour

So could you please explain what you mean by "Windows" and how to drag a "Window" over to the #2 mmonitor screen

What I did find was that I could get the mouse pointer to appear on #2 monitor screen and could by left clicking I could create a new Icon and do a few other things but I have great difficulty getting the pointer back onto the #1 monitor screen again #$%^&

You mention a dialog box, could you please explain where I can find this box !!

Hoping you can sort me out

Cheers n Tears
    Max

P.S.
    Maybe the Winfast A310 AGP Video card's Control Panel/Display/Settings dialog box is different

7. Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In this screenshot you can see that screen 2 is to the right of screen 1, but since it is a bit smaller it only extends part of the height.

Imagine that there is a big "virtual" screen covering both 1 and 2.
    Anything that I drag off the right hand edge of screen 1 will appear at the left hand edge of screen 2.
    Anything that I drag off the left hand edge of screen 2 will appear at the right hand edge of screen 1
    I can even have a window that is half on one screen and half on the other.

StuartR

8. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

9. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Jest as well we don't have a video link @#$%^

My face is RED cos the reason I couldn't drag anything to the 2nd screen was that I have my 2nd monitor physically located on the RHS and I was dragging, (or trying to drag), in the wrong direction @#$%^&*

Now I'm on top of the problem

SO,

Thanks a million for your help and please excuse my stoopidity

My excuse is that I've reached middle age, (I'm 74 @!#$%^) and I'm getting more stoopid than I'd like to be @#$%^&

Cheers n Beers
    Max

10. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have found at times I need to change an application from Max to something less and then I can drag that app from one monitior to the other, then maximizing the app window. I've seen the same thing when trying to move apps from the second monitor back to the primary.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough