New Lounger
    Thanks

Enable Restart Numbering in a Protected Document (Word 2003)

Hello All

I have a document that's divided into sections, one section being a protected form. Protecting switches off all kinds of menu options for the whole document. I need to re-enable the Restart Numbering option (Format, Bullets and Numbering). Is there any way to do this?

Roger Shuttleworth
    London, Canada

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Enable Restart Numbering in a Protected Document (Word 2003)

If the section you need to restart the numbering is not protected, and you are able to unprotect the document and reprotect it without losing any information, you can unprotect it, record a macro to restart numbering, add the icon to your toolbar, then reprotect the document. You are then able to click on the icon to restart numbering.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've just encountered the same problem, but a macro won't do for me. It's a corporate letterhead template, with the header and footer protected in Section 1, the body text unprotected in Section2. In my case, users would like to be able to change the Bullet style rather than numbering. With protection on, all of the BUllet and Numbering choices are disabled. This doesn't make sense to me, since the bulleted text is in the unprotected section of the DOC.

I've also noted some strange behavior with tables in this template. I can insert a table into the unprotected section, but I cannot use Format, Borders and Shading to format the table or cells. However, if I go to Table, Table Properties, click on the Table tab, then the Borders and Shading button, I can format it however I want.

Is there a way around this strange behavior in protected documents, or is this an oddity we have to live with? (BTW: I'm using Word 2000 w/ SP3. I wonder if Word 2003 behaves the same way...)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the user wants to change the bullet style, do you have different bullet styles in the template? If you create 2-3 different bullet styles, user can change the style in unprotected Section 2.

As far as the table in Section 2, you can add the border icon to a tool bar (possibly create a toolbar in the template that would hold the different bullet styles also and have that toolbar pop up when the template is used) by View, Customize, All Commands on the Categories side, selecting "Borders:" on the right and dragging it to a toolbar. This will allow table borders to be changed without going through the hassle of table properties, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've also found that if you format a bulleted list in another (normal) doc, then you can copy/paste it into the protected doc and preserve the custom bullet. So there must be some way to get bullet formatting without removing the protection...

New Lounger
    Thanks

<<do you have different bullet styles in the template?>>

Hmmm, I guess I assumed that all the default bullet styles would be available, as they would in an unprotected docuemnt. Are you saying I need to manually add them to the template before I protect it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you'll need to create the styles first since the bullet styles really wouldn't be there unless an actual style is created, showing up in the Style dialog box. After creating the bullet styles then reprotect the template.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses, Leanne. That's what I've done, which accomplishes the immediate task, but it does present some problems. Users are accustomed to going to Format, Bullets and Numbering, now they'll have to be trianed on how to use the Styles menu to change bullets. It also limits them to those bullets I've decided to include in the template; they stiall can't pick their own bullet symbol or change the indents, for example.

As a short term work-around, I'll continue with the "Styles for Bullets" method, but I'm still hoping someone can find a way to give users full bullet formatting without unporotecting the document. (And for my own personal satisfation, if someone could *please* explain to me the logic of having bullets and numbering locked out in the first place, I'd appreciate it!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is a sample of what could be done so users won't have to use format, styles, etc., to change a bullet. You could create bullet styles (based on documents previously done), create a macro to select it, and copy the macro to the toolbar. All the user would then need to do is click on the bullet of choice. While this may be a pain, it may limit the number of "cutesy" bullets some think need to be in a document.

As far as to why the bullets/numbering (and table borders) not being able to be changed (easily) in a non-protected section of a protected document, I wish I could be more help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Basically a custom toolbar to apply the Styles...nice! It reduces the amount of clicking the user has to do. It still limits their choices, but that's not always a bad thing. I know I'll still hear some griping about it, but at least its better than no choice at all. Thanks again for your help, Leanne.

Doug

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're welcome. I do templates for 800+ employees, believe me, I've heard the griping!