New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Runtime Problem (ODE XP)

Dear Hans,
    My application has a form with FileDialog in it. I use Package Wizard to make setup files containig App database,data database, some .jpg files and Runtime Access.The problem is after installation my application can not run the fileDialog
    Did I miss any files necessary during the 'Adding Files' process? If so, what files, and where do they locate ?
    thanks in advance, suwat.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Runtime Problem (ODE XP)

Is the database used on Access 2000, by any chance? The FileDialog was introduced in Access 2002.

PS: I am not the only one posting replies here!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Hans,
    I create the database in Access2002 file format. It can run the FileDialog in Full version but cannot in Runtime version.
    suwat.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have ODE, so I will have to leave this question to others. Sorry.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

My name isn't Hans, but will hazard a reply. The FileDialog object introduced in Access 2002 is only available in the full retail version of Access. According to MSKB 279508, ACC2002: How to Display and Use the File Dialog Box in Microsoft Access 2002:

"NOTE: The FileDialog method works only in the full retail version of Microsoft Access. This method does not work in a Microsoft Access run-time application."

No further explanation is provided. Perhaps because the FileDialog object is a part of Office XP, not just Access?? See MSKB 288543 for more info:

INFO: The Microsoft Office XP FileDialog Object

This article includes an "Additional Note":

"Because a file dialog box can only be accessed by calling the FileDialog property of an Office Application object, use of an Office XP file dialog box requires a running instance of an Office XP application. Therefore, you cannot use the Office XP file dialog boxes from a non-Office application without Automation to an Office application."

Not sure if that is reason.... You may try using the Windows API Common File Dialog as an alternative. See this previous post by HansV which provides a sample database:

<!post=Re: Common File Dialog (A2K) Post 304810,304810>Re: Common File Dialog (A2K) Post 304810<!/post>

HTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are quite a few built in things in Access that don't work in the runtime, like the print dialog. You have to provide alternative methods for runtime users to get the same functionality.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for every advice. 'll try the common dialog instead.