5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drop-Down menus freeze all Office XP aps (2002)

Office 2002 products are suddenly freezing whenever I click on the drop-down arrow for a menu (e.g., File|Open, click on the drop-down arrow and application freezes). Other applications not in the office suite are fine. Have full anti-virus protection, so it shouldn't be that. Interesting side note, I initially had an OEM version of Ofrfice 2002 that came with my system. Upgraded by BUYING the Office XP Professional edition. Installed it, registered it, etc. When researching this freezing problem, I uninstalled Office and then reinstalled from the Professional CD...which asked for the full set of Product ID info...however, the product that appears is NOT the Professional Edition that I purchased...but it continues to show the OEM ID. And, sigh, still freezes.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drop-Down menus freeze all Office XP aps (2002

You could try Detect and Repair, but it sounds as if that would be needed for all the Apps. What you say makes if the whole thing has become dreadfully confused.
    Grüße

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Drop-Down menus freeze all Office XP aps (2002)

I suspect you didn't actually remove the OEM version before you installed the Professional version - and you may need to use the tools mentioned frequently in other threads to actually clean up the things the uninstall leaves hanging around. Not lots of fun, but that seems to be the general concensus for this kind of problem.
    Wendell

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drop-Down menus freeze all Office XP aps (2002)

Hi Kevin:
    One other thing you might try is to look in the Office startup folder & see if there are any add-ins. If so, you might remove them & test by starting applications & then adding back the add-ins one at a time. This is similar to Step 3 that I describe in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,