Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer.exe Hogging resources. (Win XP Pro )

Suddenly My system is slowing to a seeming standstill. The first time I start anything that uses Explorer.exe, it takes over, slows down... way down. The task manger shows explorer.exe using 93-97% of the process resources. No other applications are running.

There was a post regarding messenger, services. This should not be the problem since There are no checked items in MSCONFIG startup. and messenger service is disabled.

AND shutting down explorer.exe will not shutdown and needs an 'end task'

It all seems to be fine in safe mode.

Any idea what process might be causing this malady. or if there is a necessary process I may have set to 'disabled'

Any suggestions would be helpful..

Signed,
    Trying to stay calm before I throw the X&^% thing out the window

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Explorer.exe Hogging resources. (Win XP Pro )

Hi Paul,
    Look at Explorer Tools | Folder Options | View and ensure that 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' is not checked. Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? Updated any software?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was hoping that would work but alas no.
    I am forever installing and uninstalling programs. Nothing hits as an event when it happened.But I am sure it is something I did,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that tip Joe. I never noticed it before all the times I've been there. I also don't run indexing service in search, and turn off a number of services I don't need. Do you have any other places that can be "turned off" that aren't usually used and run by default?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gaddy--

You may have said somewhere before, but how much RAM do you have on that machine? If you need more, you can make a quantum leap difference in problems like this if you add another say 256MB, and it's pretty cheap and easy. Also I'd recommend turning off Indexing in Search--it's not going to make that much difference when you use search--and if you set any XP folder window or explorer to View>Show in Groups; Details by Name> Post 274254 you can cut the need to use XP Search drasticallly. Take a look at Black Viper's Service Configurations and see what you can cut. Also turn off Windows Messenger service--you don't need it and it'll cut popups and popunders.

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't say - are you in possession of any malware software, <!post=like in this Star Post?,296439>like in this Star Post?<!/post> If you haven't already done it, you ought to run a CHKDSK /F and make sure something's not amiss with the drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Outside of the stuff you mentioned in the other post - not really.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This has now offcially turned into a nightmare. I tried many ideas, turning services off one by one, Ran anti spyware, anti virus, two versions of each, And it came to pass that running in safe mode with networking worked ok but as soon as I booted normally it would bog down under explorer.exe (The original problem)

In my infinite wisdom, I went into MSCONFIG and under the BOOT.INI tab,,checked the safemode with networking box so It would just boot that way. OK for then.

NEXT ..., I figure reinstalling windows XP might just do the deed. so I went and ran the upgrade wanting to maintain my programs, data and settings . all went well until the first reboot. It booted into safe mode with a window saying 'setup cannot continue in safemode, windows will restart'
    Now it is in an endless loop of trying to start in safe mode.

I can take the drive out and put it into another machine but Cannot find any BOOT.INI, so does ANYONE know what file I can affect that will remove that autoboot into safe mode or any other approach.

PS, While the drive was connected as a slave on the other machine, Viruses were discovered and cleaned so I have high hopes that all can get back to normal soon as I can boot this MF.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Can you F8 at all to the "Win Adv Options Menu" Gaddy, and boot into Safe Mode? I was hoping if you still have boot.ini intact you could use System Restore to get out of this problem? You could also try clicking Last Known Good at the same place (although it's much less reliable). Boot.ini is created when you load Win XP, and if you needed to get the folder, you could copy it from a machine that has one--or on another machine "show all hidden files" and go into the I386 folder and copy it.

See also:
    289022: HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    NT Compatible Boot .ini
    BOOT.INI ON THE WRONG HDD

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...While the drive was connected as a slave on the other machine, Viruses were discovered and cleaned... <hr>
    Sounds like there was something you forgot to tell us. You may have gotten yourself into an unrecoverable hole here, depending on what the VIRUSES were and whether they were REALLY cleaned or not. I'm fearful you may be in for a clean install here, but without more information it's awful hard to tell!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The directiosn in the link about editing the boot ini file would work if I could boot from that drive at all. (which I can't) . I am looking for a way to do that edit from the outside, while that drive is just a slave on another system.
    I am getting weirdly desperate. It appears that the setting for Safeboot with networking is changing the bootstat.dat file. There is no real Boot.ini file. I can see the line in the files on another machine whe I run MSCONFIG but even then cannot find a way to edit it except through MSCONFIG. Changing it and searching by date it has to be the BOOTSTAT.DAT file that it is real file doing the work that needs to be edititd.. Any clues, editors or suggestions on editing that file from outside the windows program it applies to.?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this will do it for you, but are you familiar with the Recovery Console? It is a command interface available from the CD or can be installed as a boot option. It has 13 commands from dos and others.Bootcfg allows repair of boot.ini from outside Windows. See Post 302278 on RC and 307654 Install and Use RC in XP.
    Post 284948 Recovery Console and 283092: RC Links.

Using The Recovery Console to Fix Boot.ini:

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.jsiinc.com/subn/tip6600/rh6677.htm">6677

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help so far. This just keeps getting better.
    I was able to change boot.ini. Thanks
    XP continued on the reinstall path until it is about 2/3 of the way through 'instaliing devices'. Then it just reboots itself and goes back and wants to run.a a scan disk as if it had been powerd down, starts the installation from installing Windows 2/3 of the way thorough installing deviics... well you know the rest.
    Loop dee loop dee yi, loop dee loop dee yay

I am going to bring th drive back as a slave and run chkdsk.
    But of now
    I am going to dance cocert t for valentines day , More later,
    Thanks for all

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It ain't over 'til it's over. There may be light at the end of this tunnel. It wants to run a chkdsk because that's what XP calls it. Since you can't have Yogi come and work on your computer, here's what might finish this. Boot from the CD to the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. That might stop this endless loop that you're encountering whichever the cause and there could be a few including fixing a dirty bit that's set; See links below and also take a look at the Dirty Bit Post:

811150: Setup Repeatedly Stops and Restarts
    316506: Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer Just in case you have an HP Scan Jet.

On Chkdsk/ r and Recovery Console:

Post 277452
    Post 325409: Chkdsk and Dirty Bit Set, NTFS, Fsutil; Fixing Dirty Bits
    Chkdsk /r Technet

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am learning alto but I am still in the same very specific loop. After all is said and tried - restoring, recovering, standing on one leg, killing a chicken, While installing XP. it get to the part here it boot into windows, and load files, and during the installing devices part it just stops and reboots, never to get past that moment. It is the same place every time. The bar has moved about 2/3 of the way across. Same place, same pop out and reboot - every time no matter how it gets to that part of the installation.

The disk appears to be clean and perfect. The same thing happens when the disk is placed in either of two cd drives.

Do you know what files are being installed during that part of the installation process. Perhaps if I can delete those (device files) by installing the HD on another computer as slave, the next installation will write in a different spot and get past the hiccup..

Wadaya Think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast