Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Hibernate and Suspend

I have an HP Omnibook 6000 running Win 2000. Somehow I have lost the ability to suspend and hibernate. It was there when I first got the machine and now has disappeared. When I click on Control Panel/Settings/Power Options there is no longer a tab for hibernate. The bios power setting is set to "automatic" and I do have a c:hiberfil.sys file that seems to be current. Any ideas as to how to get this working again?

Thanks

Re: Lost Hibernate and Suspend

There are several possibilities discussed at JSI:

Click <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm>HERE</A> then do a Search for: hibernate

Lounger
    Thanks

I found the Knowledge base articles yesterday. I'm quite sure I have loaded something that is conflicting, I just don't know what. Guess the search begins. Thanks for the response.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On laptops and notebooks the "hibernate" may be software provided by the OEM, and is designed to work with the OS that was shipped the the machine. Check with OEM and see if they have software to support the new OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

The problem was drivers not design for Win2K. I had tried to install "Mathblaster - 4th grade" and the install failed but left some garbage behind. The Knowledge base article helped me track it down. Thankfully I had made an image of the HD a month ago and was able to put that image on another HD and then compare the two. You run sigverif.exe which gives you a list of drivers without signatures and then you you can look at each one of these.

HP tried to point me down their proprietary path, but this functionality resides in Win2K.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Having the same problem and couldn't fix it until know. I've run sigverif, as you recommended, but it displays all drivers as unsigned (163 out of 164, even the Ms HAL).
    Any suggestions ???

Lounger
    Thanks

After you run sigverif.exe, click on Advanced, then "Look for other files that are not digitally signed." This gives you only the drivers with no signatures. Then what I did was print that list and then go through those one by one looking at the properties of each one. I then renamed those I thought might be the problem just in case they might still be needed. Worked for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx a lot,
    that's what I've done.
    Microsoft confirmed today, that there is a problem in Win2K loosing all signatures.