2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Fields Changed (xp)

Hello
    I have a database that was originally developed in Access 97. I had been using it in 2000 and we just recently upgraded to XP. Since then (I think) I noticed problems with a merge document. I have merge fields in a Word doc - the fields are from query in the database. The merge fields names in the Word doc are no longer the same - i.e. Org_Code has become orgcode. The fields back in the query are unchanged. In fact, in the Word doc, on the mail merge toolbar, the drop down list of merge fields is correct and if I change it back to the original name, it works correctly again. Is this something to do with the recent upgrade?
    Thanks much.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge Fields Changed (xp)

I haven't noticed field names changing, but mail merge has changed drastically from Word 2000 to Word 2002. The default method of connecting to the data source is now OLE DB. I always initiate the mail merge in code from Access, and have adapted it throughout my databases to keep on using ODBC; this makes the mail merge work the old way.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think Hans has deduced the problem - by default, Word 2002 uses OLE DB as the method for getting data from Access, and it does some different things with field names than ODBC or DDE which is what you were using previously. You can specify the method in Word and that should revert things back to the way they were.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

got it - thanks to you both