3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

email from Access (2000)

Each record pertains to an individual or business account. Update reports of account status are routinely emailed to the appropriate parties.

The data has outgrown Excel from which email reports are created manually and sent out. Before I begin converting this to Access, I would like to plan for an automated email system as this is currently a very inefficient time consumer. I can visualize merging to Word and emailing or creating Reports and emailing, but I don't know which program offers my best choice of doing a bulk mailing. Nothing is built, so all possibilities are open. I'd like to automate as much as possible, as these emails go out on a frequent basis - and it SHOULD be easy for the user.

This project is in the very first brainstorming stage and I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: email from Access (2000)

Reports are probably not the way to go unless you are going to have all the parties have the snapshot viewer, or you want to create PDF files and then attach them to the email. The principal question is whether you are going to do emails on a batch basis, or you want to do them in conjunction with some type of transaction. If it's the former, and you run some sort of process on a periodic basis, Word is an excellent choice as it can merge to email, and send a customized message to each party. If you do it in conjunction with a transaction, then I would look at using Outlook Automation from Access and create a custom email message for each affected party with each transaction. Hope this is userful.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts. Emails to everyone will be sent out in a batch. I've never explored emailing more than a single Word Document. I'll look into it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Emailing from a Word mail merge is the easiest way to send out batches of emails - under step 3 of the Mail Merge Helper, one of the options is to send the merged result by email, and you can send the result either as the body or as an attachment. If you want to use fancier formatting, sending it as an attachment is preferred, as many subscribers (e.g. AOL) can't receive RTF or HTML email. You can drive the whole mail merge process from Access using Automation if you want to - our Mail Merge tutorial talks about some of the issues in more detail.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

I did not see any mention of using the Tools > Office Links > Merge It with MS Word. I have been using that for a number of years. The only problem is that I have never been able to figure out how to end up merging to email using that procedure. (Is there a way?)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There are some 3rd party programs that allow you to send e-mail directly from Access. One of the most interesting is PBEmail. It send out mail directly, not requiring access to an SMTP server. I don't know how it works, but it does.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't believe there is a way (at least in 2000, and I've not tried in 2002 or 2003). It can be done the other way (initiated in Word), or you can initiate it from Access via Automation.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 17-Feb-04 12:42. )</P>I recollect Helen Feddema covered this issue in Woodys Access Watch some time ago but I haven't got the issue number to hand. Search Google for Helen's address and check her list of Access Archon columns.

<font color=blue>Edited by WendellB to add link to WAW 3-20 issue</font color=blue> WAW 3-20