Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

'Wake on LAN' on corporate Dell PCs - experience?

We are looking into implementing the Dell software associated with "Wake on LAN", to power-up PCs overnight and copy software updates to them.

Has anyone any experience of this that they could share, please?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Wake on LAN' on corporate Dell PCs - experience?

No, but I am just starting the planning phase for similar using Compaq (HP) equipment. I'll share as I go.

Good luck.
    Granville

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I gave up about 18 to 24 months ago but we tried the same thing at our plant. All PC's and Servers are Dell. The NT and 2000 machines would lock, freeze or just not respond, in the morning the users would whimper and wine until they did a complete shutdown (not restart) and they were good until the next batch of tests we attempted. We finally gave up on the idea.
    Our goal had been to schedule Disk clean programs on one night, scan disk the next defrag the next then Windows Critical Updates then CNet's "Catch-up" (which is NLA by the way).
    The failures occurred on all of the above, actually before any of the above occurred it was the "waking" part. I have since turned off WOL and WOM on all machines and scheduled the first three items via Task Scheduler (where applicable) and I manually two times a year do a system PMS (Preventive Maintenance Service) where I do a lot of "stuff" and part of that is Windows Critical Updates.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Kent

That sort of information is invaluable! I'll throw it past Dell's UK Technical Manager to see if he thinks things have improved since you tried it. We have Compaq servers and Dell PCs...

Thanks again!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...