Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Reader Plugin (IE 6, WXP)

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 loaded which includes the Reader V5. I subsequently installed Reader V6.0. When I click on a PDF file stored on my computer it runs Reader V6.0; however, when I access a PDF file via Internet Explorer, it runs Reader V5. I don't understand this because properties for the nppdf32.dll file located in the IE Plugins folder indicate that it is the Version 6.0 plugin.

How do I get IE to use Version 6.0?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adobe Reader Plugin (IE 6, WXP)

For some reason Adobe decided that when you install V6 it will not remove earlier versions. The simplest solution may be to uninstall V5 and then re-install V6 to set up the correct file associations.

Thanks

Chuck,

Tony gave you the best route to go.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Also see Adobe Reader Speedup Thread. This can be helpful in taking time off loading Adobe reader by giving you the option to eliminate rarely (if ever used) plug-ins which can be quickly restored.

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This has been an interesting experiment, but I remain as puzzled as ever. Here's what I've discovered so far:

I should make one thing clear up front. I have Adobe Acrobat V5.0 installed. This is not the reader, it is the full bore Adobe program that I use to create PDF files. When IE runs it seemingly loads Acrobat 5.0, not Reader V5.

1. The file "nppdf32.dll" located in Program FilesInternet ExplorerPlugins seems to have nothing to do with linking IE 6 to the Adobe Reader. I've tried deleting this file (who's original properties indicated it wasAcrobat V5.0). I tried copying the Reader V6.0 version of this dll from Adobe Reader 6 into IE 6's Plugin folder. This has no effect on which version reader that IE calls on because it stubbornly goes to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 when I access any PDF fild.

2. I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat 5.0, and IE then called on Reader V6 OK. However, I need Acrobat V5.0 to generate PDF files. So I reinstalled it. Then uninstalled the Reader V6 and reinstalled it. NO CHANGE! Thus, installing V6 over V5 doesn't make a change. I

3. I checked file associations, and PDF files are set to call on V6 of the reader, and when I directly access a PDF file it runs V6. However, If I access the same file through IE 6 it runs Acrobat 5.0!

Somehwere (registry?) there's got to be a place where IE is getting the pointer to V5, and this doesn't get reset when you load Reader V6 on top of Acrobat V5. I've searched the registry to no avail. I suppose I can always download the PDF's, save them to disk and then run V6 on them, but I really shouldn't have to do that. Or, for that matter, I can probably get along OK running V5 within IE 6 -- it just bugs me that I can't get it to work like it should.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Open My Computer, then Tools, Folder Options and then the File Types tab. Then scroll down to PDF and select the "Change" button and select the program that you want to use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

I've had Reader 6.0 as the PDF application right from day one. That works when I directly open a PDF file on my computer. It doesn't have any effect on a PDF that gets opened from within IE 6.0. That's the problem!

Thanks

Chuck, we have had numerous threads explaining that how IE handles downloaded files is different than and not necessarily controlled by, the file type settings that rule Windows Explorer. If you go into the settings for Acrobat 5 and uncheck the browser plug-in, but leave it enabled or turn it back on in Reader 6, does that work? If not, search here for earlier threads (e.g., Acrobat MIME type) on this issue.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still a bit skepticl about how it happens, but I have "Display PDF in Browser" unchecked in both Adobe 5.0 and Adobe 6.0, and I now get Adobe 6 inside IE 6. So I'm happy -- thanks for the help.