New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Contacts (Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703))

I have yet to find a way that works correctly to export my Outlook contacts. I have tried to export both as an Excel and Access file. After formatting & reinstalling windows, the file imports back in with only telephone numbers, and the names are always Last, First for "File As" even though I have exported them as First, Last and have set contacts settings as First Last. I have around 150 contacts, and have to manually switch the "File As" Last, First, to First Last, and copy paste every email address in from a simple text document. Can anyone tell me a way that actually works. Outlook express WAB file was simple & always worked.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Contacts (Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703))

What do you want to accomplish, why are you exporting, and can you be a little more specific about how you are exporting? If you use the Export Wizard, through 2002 it doesn't expose all of the Contact Properties.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using outlook from Ms Office Pro 2003. The reason is; Every time I format and reinstall the program, I dont want to have to manually type in names, addresses, phone numbers, and email for 150 different contacts. I'm using "File/Export" and have tried to export as Excel, Access, and a few other file types.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The Personal Storage File (PST) is the repository of most of this data (Signatures, Nicknames, and a few other things, are in separate files.) You should keep your PST from the prior version and reattach it as an Information service when you reinstall. I don't have 2003, but in 2002 this can be done via File | Data File Management | Add; once you have restored the PST file, you can File | Data File Management | Remove the empty one which is created by default when you reinstall. Does this help? Also, if you wish, any or all Folders in your PST can be exported to another PST for backup purposes, via the File | Import and Export Wizard.
    UTC -7DS

New Lounger
    Thanks

PST file has never worked for me, and I have never been able to import it back in. I don't under stand why it has the ability to use Access & Excel if they dont work correctly. Ms needs to come with a WAB file like outlook express uses, it works perfectly every time.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A PST is your best bet for what you want to do. In this forum there are several threads discussing how to migrate a PST from machines or between Outlook versions. They explain in detail how to reinstall a PST to a newly installed Outlook Application. Is this a standalone installation or a corporate LAN/Workgroup installation?
    UTC -7DS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have used the export and import to and from a Excel sheet since Outlook 2000, it has always worked for me.

Just tried it using 2003 and the email addresses are NOT going into the Excel file.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Contacts (Microsoft Office Outlook 200

There is some VBA code for reordering Contacts - between Last, First and First, Last - attached to <!post=this post, 128346>this post<!/post>. The post contains code updated from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2002. AFAIK, it has not been tested on Outlook 2003. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just home use...John