Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hit a problem it couldn't recover from

"PowerPoint Hit a problem it couldn't recover from" is a message that pops up while/after I have tried to quit a PowerPoint session from within Word97/VBA.

If any of you PowerPoint PowerUsers have seen this message, I'd appreciate any clues you might be able to give me.

I attach a JPEG which I hope will be a fairly faithful representation of the message box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Hit a problem it couldn't recover from

Quitting PPT from within Word VBA? Are you trying to control PPT with Word?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Chris,

Is the code posted <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ppt&Number=11604&page=& view=&sb=&vc=1#Post11604>here</A> (as well as the entire thread) relevant?

Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes.

I have a Word97SR2 application which creates an instance of PowerPoint (and Access, Excel etc) where none existed, tells it to open a presentation and then asks for all the code modules within that presentation. And then tells it to shut down, quit, disappear, vamoose etc. It's the final event that has PowerPoint throwing up the message.

I have a feeling that PowerPoint's shutdown isn't as fast as it ought to be and that my loop
    <pre>(start loop)
    (do stuff)
    objApp.Quit
    (delay)
    Set objApp=Nothing
    (end loop)
    </pre>

might be better written as
    <pre>(start loop)
    Set objApp=Nothing
    set objApp=Applications.PowerPoint
    (do stuff)
    objApp.Quit
    (delay)
    (end loop)
    </pre>

That is really just trying for a bigger delay.

The original code was written to obtain code modules from Excel, and it works, so the basic idea is correct.

I'm learning that Excel, PowerPoint and Access are all so different when callers come ....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

YesSir! A great help. First thing this morning I fired my IT department!

Then I invited myself to copy all the thread to a document and gave myself one last chance to essay with each of the suggestions. I suspect that your Taskmanager doo-dad is going to save the day, but want to try, too, with the Save and then Close before Quit.

Silly as that may look, I suspect that it's a timinmg thing with PowerPoint, and that if things aren't done in a specific sequence, PowerPoint gets its slides in a knot.

I will post back my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=vb&Number=33299&page=0&view =collapsed&sb=5&part=&vc=1#Post33299>working code</A>, honest! .....