Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Encarta data (XP Pro)

I want to perform a clean install, but I have no idea where my accumulated updates for last year's Encarta are saved, and I'd like to be able to reinstall them. I have the full set, but I can't seem to find any files with dates that would correspond to them.

Thanks

Re: Encarta data (XP Pro)

That doesn't answer his question - he is asking how he can re-install, not how to download them again.
    (Not everyone has access to unmetered and/or fast internet access.)

PS: Are you deliberately 'filling in' your screenshots with a crayon before attaching them? - they are quite difficult to decipher sometimes....

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peterg--

I don't know what version of Encarta you have, but every version I've seen through 2004 you can simply go to Tools>Update on the Encarta toolbar and get all the cumulative updates. I would think those would include the ones you want. When you load it on your new machine, why not just update that way? Also for many versions, Microsoft provides unlimited Encarta support 7 days a week. I didn't see any "update folder" when I searched all my Encarta files.

Microsoft Encarta 2003 Features PC Mag

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I was trying to make it easier to see because the SS from Encarta was pretty gray so I filled it in. I'm not going for flamboyant images. I'll take the color out and make it a little smaller and less "busy". I also spoke with Microsoft Encarta Support just now who agreed with my post entirely. The reason is that when Encarta updates, there is no mechanism for "saved updates." Analagous to the way Win Update provides updates, (unless you use Personalize and Catalogue features to save them to a CD with Win Update and you can't do this with Encarta), there is no excecutable or download from Encarta that is saved. Encarta updates from their site by changing files. Some of the parts may exist briefly in Temp files, but there is no place to go to get something "to reinstall."

Microsoft Encarta support agreed with me that Peterg will get the full complement by simply going to Tools>Download. I thought he was worried that he had taken the time and care to update meticulously and would lose his updates. That's not the case--he'll get them all by clicking Update--and hopefully, it will take him very little time even on dail up.

Your point about dial up vs. broadband or fast access is a very important one, and I appreciate it and will try to always consider it. But with respect to Encarta that's the only mechanism--there just is no other way by design.

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much. I think I have a good connection, as I downloaded all sixty updates in about three minutes. What had me worried were the installation remarks about having to be a member and its only being good for a limited time, and specifically October. I was worried that my time had run out.
    My version is Reference Library 2003. I think computer encyclopedias are indispensible, but I practice crop rotation and this year it was the competition's turn.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to download everything up to date. Of course every year they will have features to try to justify your buying another edition--I don't find that necessary. While there is a big market niche for kids in school and teachers, I find it has a lot of useful information and it blows me away that you can begin to buy these cyber encyclopedias for $20-30 and the DVDs for $60 or $70 with the convenience of search, and I remember my dad making a big investment to get us Britannica (the books) for $500 bucks.

SMBP